Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys,

Someone please help me out of this, As much as I love the Sound Quality that the Homepods OG produce, it is giving me problems one after another and I am getting sick and tired of it. So I have had this Homepods Pair which I use in Stereo for 2 years now, but ever since I remember right from the begining it has been given me problems. first, the Homepod sound would automatically in between would get very low, once that was fixed after turning off the Sound Check Option in the Home App I am back to the original problem which I used to face even before the earlier problem zo mentioned.

When I play the Homepod in Stereo the second unit would suddenly stop playing and only one unit would play. Some days back I had asked help for this problem and there was this intellectual who told me that the Homepods do not work well on the 5GHz Wifi Bandwith so rather Switch to the 2.2 gHz and also only have the 20mHZ option enabled not 20/40 and that seem to have worked initially but it is not longer helping.even on a 2gHZ with only 20mhZ enabled The second unit of Homepods still keeps cutting off and stops playing entirely.

Sick and Tired of Homepod OG Cutting off from Stereo ?

Has anybody found any solution to this once and forever ? Please help me with this ?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It's most likely the WiFi network (Nothing to do with internet speed - this is about your WiFi equipment)

Apple recommends a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/102766) so my recommendation is to not restrict your HomePods at all - Run both bands with same SSID and let them decide which is best, but also make sure your WiFi network is configured not to restrict mDNS / Airplay from being passed between the two.

My personal experience has been that ISP-provided WiFi equipment, for example, struggles to handle AirPlay. It's a chatty protocol. Having good WiFi equipment makes a huge difference. If you mention what you're running for gear, others may have the same equipment and can offer additional tips. Hope this helps...

• Love
Reactions: kitKAC

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
It's most likely the WiFi network (Nothing to do with internet speed - this is about your WiFi equipment)

Apple recommends a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/102766) so my recommendation is to not restrict your HomePods at all - Run both bands with same SSID and let them decide which is best, but also make sure your WiFi network is configured not to restrict mDNS / Airplay from being passed between the two.

My personal experience has been that ISP-provided WiFi equipment, for example, struggles to handle AirPlay. It's a chatty protocol. Having good WiFi equipment makes a huge difference. If you mention what you're running for gear, others may have the same equipment and can offer additional tips. Hope this helps...

I have the Asus RT-AC58U Router.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Looks like a very powerful setup - Which is great but there are a ton of screens and settings. I checked the manual and the one thing I'd suggest looking at first is under Advanced Settings - Wireless - Wireless Professional

For both bands (drop down at the top) I'd make sure "Set AP Isolated" = OFF and "Enable IGMP Snooping" = ON

Section 4.1.5

That's about all I can come up with - and since I don't own that model, I'm bowing out now... but I hope you get it working. If that's your only WiFi router, it should be perfectly capable of handling AirPlay to a stereo pair of HomePods. Maybe Asus has a forum/community where you could post for help as well. Good luck!

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Back up your router settings, erase it and reload your settings. That's helped me in the past when I was fiddling with the settings on my RT-AX86U and somehow made my HomePods problematic.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Back up your router settings, erase it and reload your settings. That's helped me in the past when I was fiddling with the settings on my RT-AX86U and somehow made my HomePods problematic.

What do you mean by reload your settings ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.