Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lodesreturn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hello all you fellow nerds out there. Just recently received a IIFX and I have an issue. It powers on but intermittently. Sometimes it powers on and works fine but many times I get the power supply spazzing out clicking a bunch of times and then giving up. If I let it sit and try hours later it may work again.

I have washed the case and board and put under the dehumidifier. I dried completely afterwards and worked again but with same power issue. I was able to get a bluescsi working and install 7.5.5. I bit the bullet and bought 4 16mb simms off eBay (ouch btw) but they seem to be becoming an extinct species. 2 new floppies (1 800k and 1 1.4mb) both work fine.

I ordered the necessary caps off DigiKey (thanks Branchus creations from YouTube and website for listing the proper ones) I notice this board already has all tantalum’s except 2.

I’ve tried another working psu and the same intermittent clicky problem so I’m ruling out the psu. I take it that it has something to do with the power on circuit. Is there a particular known cap that could cause this intermittent power on??

I’m kind of stumped. Doesn’t seem like the google has had this problem before as I searched but didn’t see this particular problem.

See video. Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.