Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I have an Apple Watch Series 6 since launch. Since then, I usually wash it in the shower every time I take a shower. Well. His side button is getting worse and worse to be triggered. It's as if one side of the button is totally hard and the other side is a little easier to press, but many times it crashes and ends up calling the emergency.

I have tried the most common procedures such as running water, warm water, ethyl alcohol, toothbrush and sheet of paper.

I've even tried WD-40.

One side of the button is still fully stuck and the other better a little with WD-40, but soon it gets stuck again with the use.

Before sending it to the assistance, I wanted to see with you if there is another method to try to solve this.

Would you tell me something?

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I've never understood the reasoning behind taking a shower with the Apple Watch on. There is no advantage to doing so and you risk potential issues such as this. The watch may be waterproof, but soap, shampoo & conditioner residue can't be good for it.
Maybe I didn't express myself properly. I go into the shower with it, remove it from my wrist, pass the warm water from the shower on it and leave it in a shampoo holder during the whole shower. But, I believe that, during the hand washing throughout the day, a little soap should get into the side button.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Actually I would think that considering the watch is totally waterproof, putting it in warm soapy water would be a good way to unstick the button. Maybe work round it with a soft toothbrush too?

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Actually I would think that considering the watch is totally waterproof, putting it in warm soapy water would be a good way to unstick the button. Maybe work round it with a soft toothbrush too?
I've already tried to put it in warm water, but without soap. And I have already tried to use a toothbrush several times in order to remove any dirt that has entered the mechanism, but without success.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Nothing is totally waterproof. That's why the term water resistant is used.. Water resistance isn't a permanent state and many things can contribute it's deterioration.. There's a good reason why all phone manufacturers don't warranty water damage..

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I've already tried to put it in warm water, but without soap. And I have already tried to use a toothbrush several times in order to remove any dirt that has entered the mechanism, but without success.
it sounds like you did everything there is, and the fault might be related to water damage or not, who knows.
Did you try the toothbrush thing under water? in the "crack" around the button, do you see any white/-ish residue? The only other thing I can think of is to keep it in warm water for 10-15 min to see if that might help dissolving something, but that's a stretch.

I shower with my AW on daily, done so with various models for many years and never had an issue

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
it sounds like you did everything there is, and the fault might be related to water damage or not, who knows.
Did you try the toothbrush thing under water? in the "crack" around the button, do you see any white/-ish residue? The only other thing I can think of is to keep it in warm water for 10-15 min to see if that might help dissolving something, but that's a stretch.

I shower with my AW on daily, done so with various models for many years and never had an issue

I haven't tried to use the toothbrush underwater yet. I'll try. Yes, looking closely, I see a small white spot, which seems to be soap. I've already tried to pass 70% ethyl alcohol and WD-40. Nothing softens the button. It's funny that it's locked only one side of the button. I can press the other side, with a little difficulty, but over time, because I'm pressing the button in a crooked way, it screws up and that's where it locks completely until I use the WD-40 again.

Might be time for a new watch . . . . . .

The AWs following Series 6 did not encourage me to switch. Almost nothing has changed. I just liked the size of the screen. I'm looking forward to AW 10 and its new blood pressure sensors. Let's see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.