Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Hi
I'm planning to buy an iPad to use it as a second screen with my 6,1. But I'm not sure the TrashCan can handle this... Has anybody done it ?
Thanks

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Last edited:

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Why not just use a small monitor? There's any number of 14-15.6" 1080p monitors on Amazon for £150.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Why not just use a small monitor? There's any number of 14-15.6" 1080p monitors on Amazon for £150.
Well, true but i will need an ipad when i move, so it would have avoid me to pay for two items...
And also as the Can have only one HDMI and no USB C... it would have been more simple

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
It's got a bunch of mDP ports through (courtesy of the TB2 ports), which are easily / cheaply adapted to HDMI.

Luna Display (https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/) would be ideal for you, but not really any cheaper than a small display. Which size iPad were you thinking of? I tried using Duet with a 13" iPad Pro, and found it too small for menus to be comfortably used.

TheBigHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Denmark
Well, I would like to use it vertical to display mainly my Discord and eventually my Twitter (3/2 1/3).
A side question: What happens if i connect a USB # hub like this one ?
On PC, it gives additional HDMI ports. Is it the same with Mac Pro 6,1?
Thanks

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
The Dell docking station will be using DisplayLink, which renders on your video card, then compresses the frames and sends as a video stream over USB. DisplayLink do have macOS drivers. There's always a performance hit, though, and things like DRM (Netflix) might not work. No point in your case - just plug into one of the many mDP ports instead.

Reactions: TheBigHunt

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Duet is amazing and works perfectly. Completely recommend. I don't even use Sidecar on my Macs that support it

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
If you search App Store for Duet Didplay you’ll find it. Then there’s a helper you download on your Mac. I’m not sure if it’s gone subscription based though… (I bought it for like £10 years ago). I wouldn’t subscribe personally as I don’t use it often enough. But maybe there’s a free tier.

Reactions: TheBigHunt

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Funny thing that Sidecar does - if you're using an old version of SketchUP and all the measurements are upside down and back to front, attaching an iPad via sidecar corrects the problem, even if the display is locked and the cover closed.

Very weird OpenGL glitch.

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Works great on Sonoma with Open Core Legacy Patcher, just need to spoof the model number.
I spoofed my 6,1 to a 7,1 and moving my mouse and keyboard work to the ipad from the Mac but I only get a black screen on my ipad when I turn sidecar on I even get the side menu but no picture with Sonoma 14.3, any help would be appreciated as if I can get this to work I think it might work with Apple vision pro as well to use the mac monitor function.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.