Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
People, Im stumped after 4 days and need help. While running Sierra, my system was upgraded to the Catalina disaster without my knowledge. The Time Machine backup last done that would save everything was done in Sierra. Of course, I cannot find anywhere a Sierra installer, but I do have one for High Sierra. Here's where it gets confusing. I am prepared to wipe and then install High Sierra, but there's a TM question. If I wipe the system and install High Sierra, will I be able to use the Sierra backup to reinstall everything? I understand High Sierra was the first to got to the APFS system, but I have found answers on the web stating that YES you can drop a TM Sierra backup into HS. Then an Apple answer says no, you can't. I also see where it's possible to format the drive to HFS+ when uploading and installing High Sierra, but again I don;t know if this will solve the issue.

I have my finger on the button here to start the erase and install HS, unless someone knows where a solid version of Sierra exists. I sure haven't found one yet.

Will HS, once installed in either APFS or HFS+, accept my TM backup that was done in Sierra? If not, best ideas??

I hope this reaches the right people, and thank you for the assist.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Catalina isn't a disaster, it works just fine. I use it at work and home. Why not just give it a try? You can't really go by the nonsense in this forum. People here would make you believe nothing in Catalina works ever which just isn't true.

The only nitpick I have with Catalina is I feel it's a bit heavy-handed in the security, but once your stuff is installed the security prompts stop for the most part.

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I appreciate the early responses, but Catalina needs to go for far too many reasons. I hope someone can respond to the critical question about Time Machine backup done with Sierra and installing that onto High Sierra. Thanks.

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
You can download the Sierra installer here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Also, if the Mac shipped with Sierra you can hold down shift+option+command+R on startup and install it from there.
Sierra was actually an update from the original OS. I appreciate the link. I had been sent to the Apple store by dozens of links across the web and every one came down as no longer available or gave me an error that the OS could not be downloaded. I had tried a number of links on my various systems, one running Mojave and another running El Cap. The Apple links were rejected on them all. Some links went to Catalina download pages. I'm in the process of downloading and will let you know the success. Thank you.
[automerge]1576784569[/automerge]
Catalina isn't a disaster, it works just fine. I use it at work and home. Why not just give it a try? You can't really go by the nonsense in this forum. People here would make you believe nothing in Catalina works ever which just isn't true.

The only nitpick I have with Catalina is I feel it's a bit heavy-handed in the security, but once your stuff is installed the security prompts stop for the most part.
Let me expand on my answer. Since Catalina came to the system, everything has slowed dramatically, even the Apple apps. Both Garage Band and Pages sit there and spin. My WiFi fails to load. Printer preferences sit and spin as well. WHen I tried to rewrite with Time Machine and being told won't work under any circumstance, thus rendering a lot of backup useless. ANd, of course, all of my 32 bit apps are trash and in my line of work there are a few I desperately need. THese and other reasons are why I stayed away from Catalina. The rewriting of partitions without a choice is also basically dumping Time Machine into the garbage. Part of this is my anger about how Apple is making it much more difficult and expensive to own a Mac. Honestly, it's getting to be not worth the trouble.

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm curious...what was the Catalina disaster that you experienced? I think the best advice for you is to stay with Catalina and figure that out. Trying to revert to Sierra probably isn't worth the effort. But to find a Sierra installer, brush up on your web search skills. I use DuckDuckGo.

If you choose to install High Sierra, it ought to migrate your Time Machine backup over just fine.
[automerge]1576785992[/automerge]
Honestly, it's getting to be not worth the trouble.
Apple has never stopped advancing their platforms. It’s only a problem if you try to fight it.

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
You can download the Sierra installer here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Also, if the Mac shipped with Sierra you can hold down shift+option+command+R on startup and install it from there.
As I've had happen with other versions and installers, something is wrong. I've had no issue making an install boot with a High Sierra app, but this one from the link you provided gave me the same error I've received on other downloads. THis is using "Install Disk Creator", which seems to sniff out issues. I've attached a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 3.18.37 PM.png

[automerge]1576787404[/automerge]

In using the Terminal command, following Apple's instructions to create the boot installer, here's the response after Password:
sudo /Downloads/Install\ macOS\ Sierra OS install.DMG/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume/Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra

Password:

sudo: /Downloads/Install macOS Sierra: command not found

Suggestions?

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
sudo /Downloads/Install\ macOS\ Sierra OS install.DMG/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume/Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra

Do really mean that? It is a nonsense command with mixture of \-space and spaces. DMGs don't have subdirectories of any kind - only apps have /Contents. And it seems you are trying to find the High Sierra install inside the Sierra one!

scisport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Do really mean that? It is a nonsense command with mixture of \-space and spaces. DMGs don't have subdirectories of any kind - only apps have /Contents. And it seems you are trying to find the High Sierra install inside the Sierra one!
Yes. The spaces are exactly as printed on the Apple support pages and comes from a cut and paste on their page. What was downloaded from the Apple site I was given earlier was this DMG and not an app. The thumb we're sending it to for creation is merely named for the High Sierra installer we created earlier. The issue here is, as I see it, there are several places to download a DMG Sierra file, yet none have been packaged as an app which would contain the contents as your noted. Again, nowhere can working Sierra app be found to create a proper boot install. That's why I'm seeking as many workarounds as I can find.
[automerge]1576794530[/automerge]
I'm curious...what was the Catalina disaster that you experienced? I think the best advice for you is to stay with Catalina and figure that out. Trying to revert to Sierra probably isn't worth the effort. But to find a Sierra installer, brush up on your web search skills. I use DuckDuckGo.

If you choose to install High Sierra, it ought to migrate your Time Machine backup over just fine.
[automerge]1576785992[/automerge]

Apple has never stopped advancing their platforms. It’s only a problem if you try to fight it.
I've never fought until now. These changes are not for the good of the user, they are mostly all to increase Apple's profit by utilizing planned obsolescence. Top evidence is there is NO reason why their systems don't have a rollback, a la Windows. It's a "once we have you by the cajones, touch spit kid". Call me crazy, but that bothers me.

Reactions: JohnMaldaner

geo88

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
Nashville, USA
From "https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372"

" • macOS Sierra downloads as a disk image that contains a file named InstallOS.pkg. Open this file and follow the onscreen instructions. It installs an app named Install macOS Sierra into your Applications folder."

Assuming you followed the above directions and, have a disk named “MyVolume” mounted, the proper command is:

“sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app”

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Download 10.12 "Low Sierra" here:
If you don't see it after the download, look in your applications folder.

Download the correct version of DiskMaker X from here:
The version you want is "X 6" and there's also a link to the Low Sierra download page.

Now...
Use DiskMaker X to create your USB flash drive installer.
Use a 16gb or larger USB drive.
It will take only a few clicks of the mouse to do it this way.

Next...
Boot your Mac from the USB installer.
BUT...
DO NOT run the installer just yet.
(see next step)

Next...
QUIT the OS installer and open Disk Utility.
Go to the view menu, and if you see the option to "show all devices" choose that (it may not be there).
Now... on the left, choose the topmost item that represents your PHYSICAL drive.
Choose "erase", and choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format".
Erase the internal drive and quit disk utility.

Now...
Open the OS installer and install a fresh copy of the OS.
BE AWARE that the screen may go dark more than once.
The Mac may reboot more than once.
BE PATIENT.

Then...
You will eventually see the login screen.
AT THIS POINT, IMMEDIATELY PLUG IN YOUR TIME MACHINE BACKUP from Sierra.
Begin setup.
At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another drive. YES, you want to do this.
"Aim" setup assistant at the tm backup drive and WAIT A WHILE.
BE PATIENT, setup assistant gives you no feedback as it "digests" the contents of the drive.
When done, setup assistant will present you with a list of stuff to migrate.
I suggest you accept all of it.
So... let setup assistant do its thing.
When done, you should see your login screen.
Login and "look around"...

Reactions: LuisN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.