Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Hello,

I got everything up and running on a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 3.06 Ghz w/ 8 GB RAM and the Nvidia 9400/9600m card. I used Dosdude's method and only injected the 2 default kexts (boot.plist and legacy USB options)

The only problem is that the recovery partition is giving me the grey circle and slash symbol.

I have tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and attempted with System Integrity Protection both enabled and disabled but nothing is allowing me in.

Audio, wifi, bluetooth all work fine. I should mention that I do have a USB 3.0 card in the PCI card slot but it is recognized in Sierra and I don't think it would be an issue. It is of a brand that requires no special drivers to work on Macs or Windows - never had one issue with it.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like the recovery partition is hosed, and being a 2009 mac, I don't think the internet recovery is open to you. You'll need to reinstall OS X from a system disc, and then upgrade that to El Cap to get your recovery partition fixed.

Perhaps its too late, but if you use Carbon Copy Cloner, you can clone your drive (including the recovery partition) to an external drive, so if need be, you can get it back.

You don't have to reinstall the older version of OS X, if you want to remain in Sierra, but right now, you have non-functioning recovery partition

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Sounds like the recovery partition is hosed, and being a 2009 mac, I don't think the internet recovery is open to you. You'll need to reinstall OS X from a system disc, and then upgrade that to El Cap to get your recovery partition fixed.

Perhaps its too late, but if you use Carbon Copy Cloner, you can clone your drive (including the recovery partition) to an external drive, so if need be, you can get it back.

You don't have to reinstall the older version of OS X, if you want to remain in Sierra, but right now, you have non-functioning recovery partition

Thank you for your reply maflynn.

I do have an El Capitan CCC backup complete with recovery partition... but wouldn't the recovery partition just break again when I go to install Sierra? Or if I keep the partitions intact it should work?

Also, can I just copy the recovery partition from my CCC backup and overwrite the current recovery partition and it will work? It would be an outdated El Capitan recovery partition i would assume...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but wouldn't the recovery partition just break again when I go to install Sierra?

I would assume so, but it seemed like you wanted the recovery partition and the ability to go back to el cap, perhaps I assumed too much

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I would assume so, but it seemed like you wanted the recovery partition and the ability to go back to el cap, perhaps I assumed too much

No, I want to stay on Sierra - it's working great - just seeking a solution to get an operational recovery partition.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Hello,

I got everything up and running on a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 3.06 Ghz w/ 8 GB RAM and the Nvidia 9400/9600m card. I used Dosdude's method and only injected the 2 default kexts (boot.plist and legacy USB options)

The only problem is that the recovery partition is giving me the grey circle and slash symbol.

I have tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and attempted with System Integrity Protection both enabled and disabled but nothing is allowing me in.

Audio, wifi, bluetooth all work fine. I should mention that I do have a USB 3.0 card in the PCI card slot but it is recognized in Sierra and I don't think it would be an issue. It is of a brand that requires no special drivers to work on Macs or Windows - never had one issue with it.

Any ideas?
Last time I lost my recovery partition I just installed the OS again. It retained my user data and settings but with the reinstall of the OS it rebuilt the partition for me.

Side note, I thought about following this same path with my 2009 MacBook Pro but decided to skip it for now. I could not think of a good reason to move forward other than wanting newer software. This is not a knock but a question, what do you hope to have by running Sierra on this older machine?

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Last time I lost my recovery partition I just installed the OS again. It retained my user data and settings but with the reinstall of the OS it rebuilt the partition for me.

Side note, I thought about following this same path with my 2009 MacBook Pro but decided to skip it for now. I could not think of a good reason to move forward other than wanting newer software. This is not a knock but a question, what do you have to have by running Sierra on this older machine?

Siri turns me on ;)

You are right, normally you just reinstall the OS to get the recovery partition working again... but as this is a clean install I think there is something else preventing it from loading and I am looking for someone with the know-how to figure it out. There is such thing as a recovery partition rebuilder but I am not sure if it would work with Sierra.

Maybe the injected kexts are causing an issue or maybe it's my USB 3.0 PCI card....not sure..

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Sounds good.

I will upgrade my 2009 macbook soon.

In first post you say you have a usb 3.0 card fitted?
In a macbook pro?

They do not have pci slots?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Siri turns me on ;)
Not too worried about Siri but heck, maybe I will upgrade just for the fun. Any idea if you can upgrade upon the next beta release or will you have to patch and go though the extra work for every update? Trying to decide if I do indeed want to do it.

I'm off topic, but curious since you're already there with it loaded.

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Sounds good.

I will upgrade my 2009 macbook soon.

In first post you say you have a usb 3.0 card fitted?
In a macbook pro?

They do not have pci slots?

Express card
[doublepost=1467042889][/doublepost]
Not too worried about Siri but heck, maybe I will upgrade just for the fun. Any idea if you can upgrade upon the next beta release or will you have to patch and go though the extra work for every update? Trying to decide if I do indeed want to do it.

I'm off topic, but curious since you're already there with it loaded.

I believe from here on i will just get normal App store upgrades and run them - the injected kexts should remain but at worst I could just repatch

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I did not know the pro had express slots, sorry.

That I would have liked.

How do you find sierra over your old OSX?

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I did not know the pro had express slots, sorry.

That I would have liked.

How do you find sierra over your old OSX?

So far it is very slick, runs slightly faster than El Cap and has some really great features. It's definitely a step in the right direction..
[doublepost=1467043755][/doublepost]

Still looking for fixes for the recov partition if anyone knows any, thanks

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So far it is very slick, runs slightly faster than El Cap and has some really great features. It's definitely a step in the right direction..
[doublepost=1467043755][/doublepost]

Still looking for fixes for the recov partition if anyone knows any, thanks
I'm waiting on everything to update so I can test for partition on my MacBook. I was able to load Sierra no issue, patch it no issue, next is to see if I have anything else appear and check to the boot partition for you.

Only issue I have see so far is Store In iCloud is giving an error but I will look into that after all else is done. I have plenty of space in iCloud and plenty of room on my drive so no rush.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No one in this thread seems to realize the mid 2009 MBP isn't a supported Mac and the Recovery partition does not get patched to work! I have been able to mount it and edit the PlatformSupport.plist file to make it bootable, but there is still the problem of no USB while in Recovery.

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
No one in this thread seems to realize the mid 2009 MBP isn't a supported Mac and the Recovery partition does not get patched to work! I have been able to mount it and edit the PlatformSupport.plist file to make it bootable, but there is still the problem of no USB while in Recovery.
That answers that. I was not sure what was going to happen. End of the day a recovery partition is not a big deal for me. My Mini is running a DIY Fusion that is missing a recovery partition. I keep a USB drive with El Capitan on it that I boot to when I need to turn SIP on and off or whatever else. Thanks for the info.

ac2334

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009

How about firewire?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
How about firewire?
I would guess Firewire works fine (unable to test it as my MacBook Air 2,1 doesn't have Firewire), but keep in mind the built-in keyboard and trackpad are connected internally to USB, so you won't even be able to move the mouse while in Recovery. An external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse may work, but I'm not completely sure. I'll have to test it further.

pistolenernie

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
I am not sure what exactly you are required to patch, but if you want you can try to mount the recovery partition from your working macOS with the terminal command "diskutil mount Recovery\ HD". Maybe your recovery partition has another name, therefore look it up with "diskutil list". When you have done this and you have activated the ability to see hidden files you can search for the "/Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg" file where all files should be stored that are loaded at a start of the recovery OS. Maybe you can exchange here the respective files as you have done it for the installation of Sierra.

Oh, and probably you need to change the files with sudo rights ...

However, I have no macOS Sierra installed, so I won't be able to give you additional recommendations. (At least I have the same macbook pro model ;) )

Hopefully this is a hint into the right direction. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Is more recent Recovery OS 16A239o similarly limited?

(I guess so. Just curious.)
Structured the same, most of the system and kexts are contained in a read-only DMG image. It may be possible to convert to read/write and drop the kexts in, but I haven't tried it yet. This would be a task for @dosdude1.
Recovery Partition Structure.png

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.