Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonboighini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
TN
I’m running a late 2012 13” MacBook Pro 2.9gHz 8gb RAM 750gb hdd (from the best of my memory, I can’t access my specs at the moment)

SO my MacBook has been having a problem starting up for a while now, however I can start up in single user mode and it works fine.

Without considering my problem, I updated my MacBook from el captain to Sierra. I get the message “MacOS could not be installed on your computer” “the installer resources have expired”

I’ve tried to return back to el captain by trying to through my startup disk, selecting the system “Macintosh HD OS X 10.11.6” but once I restart it just goes back to the installer.

I’ve started up in recovery mode and tried to reinstall el captain but I get “an error occurred while preparing the installation”

Also tried disk Utility and did first aid on my hd but no luck.

I’ve attempted to run single user mode now and when I try mounting I get a message saying the device is write locked.

I’ve tried internet recovery mode and safe mode but no luck either.

I’m practically out of options now, please someone help! My next thought is to erase the HD and I’d really prefer not to.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is the system date set correctly? I've never seen that message but it sounds like an encryption certificate may have expired.

If it IS set correctly then try setting it back a year so that it's within the Sierra timeframe and see whether that makes any difference.

Jonboighini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
TN
Is the system date set correctly? I've never seen that message but it sounds like an encryption certificate may have expired.

If it IS set correctly then try setting it back a year so that it's within the Sierra timeframe and see whether that makes any difference.
Thanks for the response! I checked the date and it was correct. Tried as you said and set the date back a year but I still get the same errors. Any other idea?

Maxylium

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2022
i have the same problem on my mid-2010 4gigs of ram and 500 gb of storage, it worked fine but el capitan does not have much software support, so i tried to update, it also showed the same error (ressources have expired), all the methods mentioned above, didn't work, even safe mode just did not start; the only thing you can do is use target disk mode to backup ur files, and then just format the HD, if not, try to install macos or ubuntu (macos is better bcs it shows you all the files) on another external HD then put your files in said HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.