Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steinberg2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I have a mid-2010 MBP that I upgraded with a 128gb SSD in the normal bay, and a 1tb HDD in the superdrive bay. I use the SSD for the OS and symlinked most of the user files to an HDD in the superdrive bay (thus keeping the minimal amount of information on the SSD).

Since upgrading to Sierra I keep getting notifications warning me that my disk is almost full. In Finder if I click "get info" and add up the size of the four folders "Applications" "Library" "System" and "Users" I have a total of 16.06 + 9.67 + 7.87 + 11.3 = 45gb used. In storage management it claims that 123gb is being used - what could be eating up all the available space? I never had this warning under El Capitan.

Thanks for any help!

~S

smokeMMA

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Russia
I have the same MBP with 256 Gb SSD and 1TB HDD. Before update, I had 146 Gb free space on the SSD, after update from El Capitan to Sierra, I have 154 Gb free space, but I didn't delete anything. Try to use CleanMyMac. May be it help.

Last edited:

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
It's not working as a fusion drive, is it? I believe the system would automatically move any files you use most frequently to the SSD so they load/work more quickly. This could be your problem, but I don't have a FD currently. Just a thought.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
it might be a glitch with the symlinked files being treated as "being on the main drive" I use a similar setup but keep my user profile on the SSD to keep things simple (and so i can eject the 1TB drive when i need battery life and dont need access to all my files on the spinner)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.