Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jguk92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
Hi all

So I have a MacBook Pro mid 2009 model which I can't have Sierra on it... And I also have a MacBook 2010 model which I'm running is 10.10.5 which can be updated... But how ??? I went on this website and downloaded it and it said the disk was no more available.

All I want is Sierra or 10.12 so I can download xtrax stems and make my DJ sets better

2 macbooks and there useless

Can anyone help please, be much appreciated

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The old macOS downloads I have have certificates that expired last October. I found macOS Sierra and downloaded it only to find it can only be installed on the drive the OS is running from (I am trying to install on external drive). It's been renamed "InstallOS", not sure if it's the name or something else apple has done but diskmaker does not recognize it as an installable macOS so it can't make a bootable copy of it (USB or other drive). If I can figure out how to make a bootable drive and can install it I will let you know...off to work for now.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
yeah, that doesn't help, this is the error I get when doing it that way:

"macOS can’t be installed on this disk. You can only install this software on the disk that is running macOS."

which really makes no sense, how could you be installing on a disk running macOS if that disk has just been formatted/partitioned according to the instructions there? (underlined text edited)

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 7.58.01 PM.png

[automerge]1584491147[/automerge]
I tried the terminal command to make a bootable drive to install, using the instructions found here https://osxdaily.com/2016/09/23/create-boot-macos-sierra-installer/, but, it said "command not found". Seems Apple has changed something in security updates and with older macOS installers.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You're missing one step. That Install macOS app should install on your MBPro boot drive (MBDmac, not the external "Retro mac).
This is NOT installing the system, only "installing" (Copying) the installer. That will be in your MBDmac/Applications folder, and it WILL be named "Install macOS Sierra". THAT'S the app that you want to use with the terminal to create the bootable installer.

Reactions: benji888

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You're missing one step. That Install macOS app should install on your MBPro boot drive (MBDmac, not the external "Retro mac).
This is NOT installing the system, only "installing" (Copying) the installer. That will be in your MBDmac/Applications folder, and it WILL be named "Install macOS Sierra". THAT'S the app that you want to use with the terminal to create the bootable installer.
O M G either Apple added an extra step or its been so long since I’ve done this I forgot about this!!! Dope slap me!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hi all

So I have a MacBook Pro mid 2009 model which I can't have Sierra on it... And I also have a MacBook 2010 model which I'm running is 10.10.5 which can be updated... But how ??? I went on this website and downloaded it and it said the disk was no more available.

All I want is Sierra or 10.12 so I can download xtrax stems and make my DJ sets better

2 macbooks and there useless

Can anyone help please, be much appreciated
See comment #3 by CoastalOR, with your 2010 MacBook click on link, on that page step 4 click on “download macOS Sierra”, it will download a file called “InstallOS” click on this and install this on your main drive, then you’ll have a macOS Sierra installer.

EDIT: oh, if you have a macOS Sierra installer you downloaded previous to October 2019 it will not work, it has a certificate attached to it that expired in Oct. so you’ll have to download again as described.

>> if you previously downloaded Sierra via the App Store, you will see it in your Purchased tab, you can download again from here also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.