Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
54664B09-57CD-41C6-9E36-32190F99482A.jpeg

I checkout a few teardown guides of each model. The battery of the iPad touch (4th gen) locates just below where the lower volume button (roughly the second row of apps) is, it this battery or display panel related? On the iPod nano (2nd gen), the battery is underneath the display so I believe it's expanding. Am I correct?

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
I checkout a few teardown guides of each model. The battery of the iPad touch (4th gen) locates just below where the lower volume button (roughly the second row of apps) is, it this battery or display panel related? On the iPod nano (2nd gen), the battery is underneath the display so I believe it's expanding. Am I correct?
Definitely correct on the Nano, and once the battery has swelled to that extent they're nearly impossible to repair because they can't be opened, at least non-destructively, and you shouldn't try. I'm not sure about the Touch, but a swelling battery is a good guess. iFixit rates battery replacement for the 4th gen as "very difficult." I would just use it until it stops working.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I had a 5th gen Touch with a swollen battery that got so bad that the glass separated from the body. I brought it to an Apple Store and they replaced the entire touch for $199 or something like that. That was a few years ago and the replacement had terrible battery life, even for a Touch. I wonder if they still have replacements for these.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Definitely correct on the Nano, and once the battery has swelled to that extent they're nearly impossible to repair because they can't be opened, at least non-destructively, and you shouldn't try. I'm not sure about the Touch, but a swelling battery is a good guess. iFixit rates battery replacement for the 4th gen as "very difficult." I would just use it until it stops working.
After your reply, I look closely and notice a gap on the top area It is not worth it to mess around a 2006-era product.
I had a 5th gen Touch with a swollen battery that got so bad that the glass separated from the body. I brought it to an Apple Store and they replaced the entire touch for $199 or something like that. That was a few years ago and the replacement had terrible battery life, even for a Touch. I wonder if they still have replacements for these.
The iPod Touch (4th gen) is listed as obsolete status, so no more service repair.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I hate the battery life on the iPod touch. I’ll never get another one again. Even brand new the battery life sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.