Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Anyone own a 12 mini with signal issues? I’ve been comparing my 12 pro to my mini and the mini has less signal than the pro. Same carrier same SIM card same area. If I put the mini in my pocket, it loses signal and streaming music buffers until I have it out of my pocket. Also texts won’t receive unless the phone is in my hand. 12 pro has no issues like this

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No problems here. I also don't recall reading about the same kind of problem from mini owners here. Do you have a case on the mini? If so, have you tested with the case off? If so, was there any difference? If you are naked, did you try going to Settings > General > Reset network settings? If not, I would try that. If you have tried that, I would backup any important files you have on the mini and then set the phone up as new and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, you should contact your carrier so that they can try and troubleshoot further, before raising a possible replacement issue with Apple.

Reactions: PvtAnimalMother

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
No problems here. I also don't recall reading about the same kind of problem from mini owners here. Do you have a case on the mini? If so, have you tested with the case off? If so, was there any difference? If you are naked, did you try going to Settings > General > Reset network settings? If not, I would try that. If you have tried that, I would backup any important files you have on the mini and then set the phone up as new and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, you should contact your carrier so that they can try and troubleshoot further, before raising a possible replacement issue with Apple.
Yeah I tried keeping a long story short!…. Had it replaced 3 times. All new. Case, no case. Backup, no backup. Out of the box, same……. Verizon blames Apple, Apple blames Verizon. My friend has a mini on AT&T and same thing. There’s quite a few posts about the mini failing but usually related to 5G which I don’t use. Thanks for the input

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah I tried keeping a long story short!…. Had it replaced 3 times. All new. Case, no case. Backup, no backup. Out of the box, same……. Verizon blames Apple, Apple blames Verizon. My friend has a mini on AT&T and same thing. There’s quite a few posts about the mini failing but usually related to 5G which I don’t use. Thanks for the input
My mini has been solid. I would press the issue with Apple and see fi they will replace it for you.

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
If you ever try to use it via Bluetooth/Apple watch, phone in pocket, you will see call drops and lag on watch when it depends on the phones reception for Siri and sending a message through the watch. Outside, no issues. In any building or store, almost zero signal

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
If you ever try to use it via Bluetooth/Apple watch, phone in pocket, you will see call drops and lag on watch when it depends on the phones reception for Siri and sending a message through the watch. Outside, no issues. In any building or store, almost zero signal
I wear and use my Apple Watch all the time, while my mini stays in my pocket. I will try and monitor the new fews days and see if I see anything like what you described.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I did. It was replaced 3 times. They said write a letter to corporate because executive relations exhausted all options
If that is the case, it very well could be a carrier signal problem. If were some kind of design flaw with the mini, I would have expected to see a lot of internet press about it, as well as a lot of activity on the forum. I haven't seen any of that.

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Yeah I was hoping it’s possible for my carrier to be the culprit of the problem but unfortunately everything is “the way it should be” on they’re end.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah I was hoping it’s possible for my carrier to be the culprit of the problem but unfortunately everything is “the way it should be” on they’re end.
You could experience a hydrogen bomb in your state and the carrier customer service rep would say everything is looking good on their end. They always say that regardless of what is going on. lol

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
You could experience a hydrogen bomb in your state and the carrier customer service rep would say everything is looking good on their end. They always say that regardless of what is going on. lol
Yeah funny but true. Very hard to get someone involved with Verizon that’s well educated!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
If that is the case, it very well could be a carrier signal problem. If were some kind of design flaw with the mini, I would have expected to see a lot of internet press about it, as well as a lot of activity on the forum. I haven't seen any of that.
Nah. Just tested another new mini. Sprint. Same thing. My home has 2 bars on about 10 phones. Mini is nothing. Tried data, cannot connect. All are running different versions of IOS. (Which never made any changes)!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Nah. Just tested another new mini. Sprint. Same thing. My home has 2 bars on about 10 phones. Mini is nothing. Tried data, cannot connect. All are running different versions of IOS. (Which never made any changes)!
I am surprised. Is the new mini covered in blue troll hair? :p You are the first to report this kind of problem. One thing you can do to confirm, is try T-Mobile service for free.

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
I am surprised. Is the new mini covered in blue troll hair? :p You are the first to report this kind of problem. One thing you can do to confirm, is try T-Mobile service for free.

Lmao!!! That’s Ghouliette from monster high! (Cartoon)!! Umm. Na. I have more than enough proof. I’m guessing the average user with the mini doesn’t obsess over a phone in and out of their pockets. It’s one of those things that once you see it, you can’t unsee it ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Lmao!!! That’s Ghouliette from monster high! (Cartoon)!! Umm. Na. I have more than enough proof. I’m guessing the average user with the mini doesn’t obsess over a phone in and out of their pockets. It’s one of those things that once you see it, you can’t unsee it ?
If you are Apple obsessive to the point of wasting hours a day over Apple products, you will fit right in on the forum. lol :D I will try and monitor as mentioned earlier. Being a man I forget stuff pretty quick.

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
If you are Apple obsessive to the point of wasting hours a day over Apple products, you will fit right in on the forum. lol :D I will try and monitor as mentioned earlier. Being a man I forget stuff pretty quick.
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks anyway. Again, this happens in weak signal areas where cellular data usually works, mini has nothing until you go outdoors. I started noticing this when I was at work and every time I went outside, I’d get my texts. Then realized that they were lingering waiting for a signal.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks anyway. Again, this happens in weak signal areas where cellular data usually works, mini has nothing until you go outdoors. I started noticing this when I was at work and every time I went outside, I’d get my texts. Then realized that they were lingering waiting for a signal.
I definitely don't suffer from that problem. I get my texts right away on the watch or the phone when I am inside at work and most other places outside the grocery store where no one gets signal. lol

Looking forward to the iPhone 13 mini. :D

PvtAnimalMother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
I definitely don't suffer from that problem. I get my texts right away on the watch or the phone when I am inside at work and most other places outside the grocery store where no one gets signal. lol

Looking forward to the iPhone 13 mini. :D
Yeah I really like my pro because of the display size, Netflix, streaming video but really love the small compact size of the mini. Perfect size and especially weight. Battery is eh ok but anker makes an awesome magsafe power bank magnet 5000 Mah. Perfect setup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.