Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hope I am in the correct forum area.

Every time I sign into iCloud with my main primary iPhone with my Apple ID, first, it will ask me to enter my CURRENT iPhone passcode which I use as my main phone.

After that, it will ask me for the older iPhone passcodes.

How can I remove these other phones from my iCloud account? Are these other devices stored somewhere within my iCloud account on my main iPhone so I can remove them?

Or, do I need take action on the old iPhone which I have still have with me and remove devices from there???

I just also set up Security Keys for my Apple ID account from my main primary phone if this has anything to do with it.

My question is, how can I remove all the iPhone Mini entries? Is there any way?

I’m only using the iPhone 14 Pro as my main phone.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance. IMG_0134.jpeg IMG_0135.jpeg

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's asking for that in order to enable iCloud Keychain. Keychain is end-to-end encrypted so that no one (even Apple) can see it - the way to add a device to that encryption chain, is to log into the iCloud account and provide a passcode of a prior authorized device.

If you don't remember the passcodes, there should be a "Reset Keychain" option eventually - which erases whatever was on iCloud, and replaced it with just what's on your current phone.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I signed into iCloud using my iPhone 13 mini which was my prior phone before with my same iCloud account and removed the iPhone 14 Pro entry from there and then fully signed out.

After this I signed back into the main iPhone 14 Pro with my iCloud account and for some odd reason it only asked for my iPhone 14 Pro passcode and nothing else.

How can I remove all the other devices from the list that I posted in one of my images?

I want to make sure to delete all my iPhone 13 Mini entries from that list.

By the way, after entering my passcode in iCloud and selecting the Don’t Merge option, it takes a long time to sign in to iCloud. Is this normal?

Last edited:

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
It’s still asking for my iPhone 13 mini passcode when I attempt to sign in to my account on my 14 Pro even though I followed the above steps and I have not even tried to sign into my account using my iPhone 13 mini. Except maybe a couple of times but this was about 2 weeks ago.

And I even removed the iPhone 14 Pro device entry from my account from the 13 Mini and fully signed out.

This is so frustrating.

What should be done next?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It’s still asking for my iPhone 13 mini passcode when I attempt to sign in to my account on my 14 Pro even though I followed the above steps and I have not even tried to sign into my account using my iPhone 13 mini.

I just use the 13 mini without signing into my Apple account.

This is so frustrating.

What should be done next?
The reason you are being asked for your 13 mini passcode is because it is used to verify the authenticity of your keychain account and access.

You were already given the answer as to how to solve your problem but, for some reason, you seem intent on doing anything but following procedure so that you get proper access to your keychain account. If you don't want to follow correct advise to solve your problem, stop complaining about your problem.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I’m hesitant to "Reset Keychain" option because I don’t want to lose access for my keychain that has my Passkeys setup on them.

Secondly, I went to the browser version of my iCloud account and removed all the 13 Mini entry from there as well under the device section.

Then after that, I signed in to my Pro normally for a few days without asking for the other phone passcode and now it’s still the same problem.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I’m hesitant to "Reset Keychain" option because I don’t want to lose access for my keychain that has my Passkeys setup on them.

Secondly, I went to the browser version of my iCloud account and removed all the 13 Mini entry from there as well under the device section.

Then after that, I signed in to my Pro normally for a few days without asking for the other phone passcode and now it’s still the same problem.
Deleting the old phone isn't going to solve the problem because Keychain requires verification. Verifying the old passcode doesn't create any problem for you moving forward and you can still keep using your iPhone 14.

As to passkeys, you can log into whatever account you have a Passkey setup using standard login credentials and then delete the current Passkey and create a new one.

You are making things a lot harder on yourself than should be. If you don't believe the advise you are being given, look up the Apple documentation and confirm the accuracy of the advise.

There is no getting around the Keychain verification of your current Keychain. If you don't want to follow advise, your only other option is to create a new Keychain.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I have the Passkey saved locally as a copy on my 14 Pro. So maybe I won’t lose access to my accounts that I added the Passkeys for?

Thanks for your advice.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
What if I just reset the mini to factory settings? Don’t really care since the mini is not my daily iPhone to use anyway?

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I’m running iOS 17 and there’s no option for reset keychain. If I tap on the forgotten all devices passwords link from the bottom, I get the option to Try Again Later or Cancel. But not Reset Keychain.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
It's asking for that in order to enable iCloud Keychain. Keychain is end-to-end encrypted so that no one (even Apple) can see it - the way to add a device to that encryption chain, is to log into the iCloud account and provide a passcode of a prior authorized device.

If you don't remember the passcodes, there should be a "Reset Keychain" option eventually - which erases whatever was on iCloud, and replaced it with just what's on your current phone.
You are giving me information that is a few years old and was for older models of iPhone

IMG_0154.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.