Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Title sums it up. Assume this is a recent bug. Just started happening about a week ago, and this week’s WatchOS update didn’t fix it. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
A few years ago, spammers figured out that if they called back 2x within 3 minutes, you could have Do Not Disturb set but the phone would still ring. This was because Allow Repeated Calls was on. So maybe your setting for this got changed? But this should cause both the phone and watch to ring.

I think I had what you describe happen only once, some time last year. Definitely not recently, which means the bug is not new. IIRC I searched forums a little bit and didn't find anyone else saying anything, so I just forgot about it. Once again IIRC I was "actively fiddling" with the watch at the time, e.g. maybe I was scrolling thru notifications or something like that. The watch didn't just ring while it was passively on my wrist.

If it's happening a lot to you, then something may have happened in newer releases of either phone or watch software to increase the occurrence of the bug.

Edit: if you search through recent threads I have posted in, you will find a much more common bug I've encountered. Quite a few people have seen this bug. The problem is that notifications or messages get delivered to the phone or to the laptop but not to the watch. Strangely enough, a few minutes later or even a half hour later the message sometimes then gets delivered to my watch. WTF?

Clearly there are plenty of lurking bugs in passing stuff off between the phone and the watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: jk73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.