Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
My web host is providing me with two extra domain names, after using them for 6 months.

So....is that cool? Does that mean I can register and run two totally different web sites from one server? Or does it mean something else?

Sorry for the silly question. :D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Albone said:
My web host is providing me with two extra domain names, after using them for 6 months.
So....is that cool? Does that mean I can register and run two totally different web sites from one server?
You'd probably want to ask this question of the host...
In general, it would mean you can run two separate Web sites, yes.
It depends whether they are offering you 2 x domain HOSTING or 2 x domain REGISTRATION.

Before you can use a domain name, you have to register it. Registration costs between $6 and $20 per year depending on who you register it through and which top level domain it is in. (.com, .org, .ca, .us, .biz whatever)

If they are offering you domain registration free for the year, ask them what the price will be for the second year.

If they're going to give you the first year free, then once you are hooked, ding you $35 for the second year that would be bad. You can always transfer your registration to another registrar, but some sleaze hosts will charge a $50 "fee" for processing the transfer away from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.