Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGrater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
I am finally getting around to upgrading my macpro5,1. Without hardware background, it's been quite a learning curve. Thank goodness for forums like this and videos.

So far I've installed a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 and a new HDD in bay 3. I just did a clean install of Mojave and confirmed my Boot ROM is 144.0.0.0.0

Next is an NVME SSD as a boot-only volumes (for multiple macOS). I'm looking at a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo or 970 Evo Plus (if firmware update fixes + problems), or Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe SSD.

Also shopping for a PCIe M.2 NVME adapter with heatsink. I am considering the Aquacomputer KryoM.2 (non-Evo), but downside is non-Amazon Prime in US. I found a Silverstone EMC24 at www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1W8MTM, but haven't found feedback in Mac Pro forums. Their webside says it has been tested with the 970 Evo and 970 Evo Pro, but doesn't list the 970 Evo Plus. www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=831&area=en ** Anyone have experience with the Silverstone ECM24?

I installed the RX 580 in slot 2 based on a Youtube video claiming it would help keep the GPU cooler. At the time, I didn't anticipate using another PCIe slot! *** Considering heat and/or vertical space, do you recommend installing the PCIe M.2 adapter in PCIe port 1 or 4?

My usage: Photoshop, photo stacking. I'll be happy with ~1500MB/s. Application speed is more important than boot duration

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
The 970 EVO Plus is great but before formatting it, check the firmware version in "About this mac/ System Info /NVMexpress/
The latest firmware is 2B2QEXM7

I bought my 500gb 970 EVO Plus last month, it had the old 1B2QEXM7 firmware which was making them unusable in a cMP.

More info HERE.

Reactions: GoGrater

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
All new 970 EVO Plus Samsung NVME product with the firmware update began shipping in June 2019 so unless you accidentally get old stock it should work fine. Just buy it from a vendor who allows returns without a restocking fee.

Reactions: GoGrater

GoGrater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
The 970 EVO Plus is great but before formatting it, check the firmware version in "About this mac/ System Info /NVMexpress/
The latest firmware is 2B2QEXM7

I bought my 500gb 970 EVO Plus last month, it had the old 1B2QEXM7 firmware which was making them unusable in a cMP.

More info HERE.

MIKX, thanks for the firmware IDs and where to look for it!

GoGrater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
All new 970 EVO Plus Samsung NVME product with the firmware update began shipping in June 2019 so unless you accidentally get old stock it should work fine. Just buy it from a vendor who allows returns without a restocking fee.

majus, thanks for that tip. I wonder if buying directly from the manufacturer's website "guarantees" fresh stock???

GoGrater

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
I wanted to follow-up and report that I did purchase the 970 EVOPlus and it did come with the newer firmware. Thanks to MIKX and majus for their help.

I also installed the Silverstone adapter and was able to format the drive. I did run into a problem though. When I first booted up after installing the drive and adapter, my bootup was stuck at a gray screen. Powered off and when I powered up, everything booted up OK. It was a bit of a scare though.

Reactions: Melbourne Park
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.