Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imutter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I am wondering if I need to get a new SIM card . I got an iPhone 11 Pro Max upgrading to the 12 pro Max . Both are bought carrier unlocked. I have the AT&T unlimited plan which includes 5G and travel frequently in a 5G area. I like to make use of the faster speeds. Also will the setting allow me to turn off the selected 5G service ? That one which switches you back to LTE ?

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
Since you have bought (it sounds like the carrier unlocked version from Apple) you will need to call ATT. Though you can use your old Sim and the new iPhone will work it will not get 5G. You have to call or come in and they will have to flip a switch in their software. Now its possible they have fixed the issue since the initial rollout. The way to tell if TRUE 5G is available is NOT looking at the top of the screen. Instead go to Setting, Cellular, Cellular Plans, Voice & Data. If you have the 5G switch you are good to go. If you don't have the 5G switch call ATT. Power off the phone and wait a few minutes and power back on and you should have the switch to enable and disable 5G.

Heres some bad news in Atlanta, GA 5G is slower than 5G so I have had to disable. I have read this is currently not uncommon across the country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.