Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I have an old iphone SE. I am using a nonus sim card but recently i been switching the sim cards from the nonUS one to US one. Then when i took out the US sim card, i accidentally put the other nonUS sim card inside without the tray without thinking. Its now stuck inside and I cannot take it out. I have that pin where you press on it to eject but that doesn't work. I even have a tiny tweezer where I try to put it inside to pull it out and it doesn't work.

I do have super glue and saw a video of someone using it along with a credit card that is cut to get it out. Does that work? But doesn't that risk damage to the sim card?

What is the best way to take the sim card out? If not, local repair shop can do it or I need to go to apple store? How much would this cost? Thing is this iphone SE is old and i bought a new iphone but i am still using this phone as backup with an old sim card. I definitely do not want to pay 50 dollars pus for this as this is an old phone that I will only use as a backup phone.

But not only that, the sim card stuck in it is the nonUS sim card that is my primary sim card that Im currently using now.

I do notice I can turn on my old iphone SE and use it without any issue via wifi but of course it doesn't read the sim correctly.

Anyone have advice on this? I'm extremely frustrated that I wasn't careful when switching the sim cards.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Have you consider maybe gently tapping on the phone or gently shaking the device a little bit to make it come out? If nothing available, then yes would take it to the repair shop and see if they can have it removed.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
How do you want me to gently tap the phone? I tried shaking the phone a bit now but it doesn't do anything. I had already used that pin that eject it but that doesn't do anything. Then I used tiny tweezers that fit inside the sim tray but the issue is that doesn't work.

So I wanted to know if that glue trick works or not. Such as you cut an old credit card. Then put a small bit of super glue on it. Then stick it straight into the sim card alot and wait a minute, then pull that credit card strip out. In the video, you see how the credit card strip takes out the sim card because the glue is stuck to it. Will that work? Has anyone tried this? I read on youtube you can do this so you don't need to open the iphone up etc.

Do you know how much a repair shop generally cost for this? If I go to apple and have them look at it, how much is it? I saw some old posts that said years ago, the genius bar or customer service do it for free? Can't imagine it being the case especially if its an old iphone SE?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
How do you want me to gently tap the phone? I tried shaking the phone a bit now but it doesn't do anything. I had already used that pin that eject it but that doesn't do anything. Then I used tiny tweezers that fit inside the sim tray but the issue is that doesn't work.

So I wanted to know if that glue trick works or not. Such as you cut an old credit card. Then put a small bit of super glue on it. Then stick it straight into the sim card alot and wait a minute, then pull that credit card strip out. In the video, you see how the credit card strip takes out the sim card because the glue is stuck to it. Will that work? Has anyone tried this? I read on youtube you can do this so you don't need to open the iphone up etc.

Do you know how much a repair shop generally cost for this? If I go to apple and have them look at it, how much is it? I saw some old posts that said years ago, the genius bar or customer service do it for free? Can't imagine it being the case especially if its an old iphone SE?
The glue trick might work. But if you don’t have steady hands and let’s be realistic it’s a damn narrow slot. You’ll get glue around the wrong place which may perhaps cause more issues. It’s a risk you’ll have to assess. Take a chance and use glue method or take it somewhere.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Well I saw one video with the glue thing. I think another video used glue as well.

But has anyone here done this?

Do you or anyone know if apple looks at it, how much they would charge? I read in a thread years ago they didn't even charge for that. So you would make an appointment with the genius bar for this? I never went to apple store for genius bar. Obviously if you go to a phone repair shop and they look at it and fix it, it will cost money but of course there is risk in case there is damage. But my old is an old iphone se though. But has anyone brought their iphone to apple and see what they say? The issue is this phone is an old phone and i never bought warranty or anything like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.