Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minotir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Hi everyone. My girlfriend has a Iphone 6s, bought in the Phillipines and it's locked to the carrier Smart. She currently lives in Thailand and to make her phone work with a Thai sim she had to buy a chip you put in with the sim. And the chip has worked flawlessly. The phone was acting up earlier today so she decided to finally factory reset it and hope some of the problems would be gone. The reset went fine, but of course she didn't think that she wouldn't be able to log in to her apple account without the sim card from Smart. And of course she doesn't have the original sim card anymore. So after hours of googling the problem I finally ask here if anyone has a suggestion how to bypass this with a sim from another carrier.
If jailbreaking is a solution then we're willing to try that.

I'm currently not with her in Thailand so I'm trying my best here to help her abroad.
Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I see now that maybe there is a better category to post this, sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samuel79

Suspended
Sep 23, 2017
I think you are referring to a gevey sim type and its likely she has updated the ios and it no longer works with it the only solution is to get it unlocked via the bay or sell it

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Any SIM sandwich solution to unlocking a Carrier locked device works only in specific iPhone OS versions. If any update was done to the iPhone OS, then you are out of luck.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
The best would if you can get smart to let the iphone unlock. Just call the customer service. I unlocked a smart iPhone last summer without any problem. But it was older than 2 years.

Otherwise after the factory reset you habe to activate it again with a smart sim (even if the sim is deactivated doesn`t matter). After the first activation you can use the SIM Adapter again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.