Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I tried searching a Security related forum section but could not find it. Hopefully I’m in the right section to post this thread.

I have an iPhone with a 6-digit numeric SCREEN LOCK PIN/Passcode. This Passcode I created is with random numbers and it is hard to guess.

Would it be fine if I use this same Screen Lock PIN/Passcode for the SIM PIN as well?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I tried searching a Security related forum section but could not find it. Hopefully I’m in the right section to post this thread.

I have an iPhone with a 6-digit numeric SCREEN LOCK PIN/Passcode. This Passcode I created is with random numbers and it is hard to guess.

Would it be fine if I use this same Screen Lock PIN/Passcode for the SIM PIN as well?
I think you can only use a 4 digit PIN for the SIM card.. At least that's how it was when I set mine up recently.. You also need to know the default PIN # your carrier uses or it won't allow you to set a new PIN. It's usually 1111, 0000, 1234 etc.. Just look it up online that's how I got Verizon's default PIN #

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
A Nation state hacking group will be able to break into any iPhone no matter what the passcodes are. Also Cellebrite in Israel can along with our very own NSA. The FBI may be able to if their Graykey device works - but for everyone else - they ain’t gunna guess your passcode or be able to break into your iPhone

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
A Nation state hacking group will be able to break into any iPhone no matter what the passcodes are. Also Cellebrite in Israel can along with our very own NSA. The FBI may be able to if their Graykey device works - but for everyone else - they ain’t gunna guess your passcode or be able to break into your iPhone
I think he wants to lock the SIM card with a PIN..

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Actually, I just set the SIM PIN with the same 6-digit passcode that I use for my Screen Lock passcode and it accepted it.

My question is, can I use the same passcodes for BOTH the Screen Lock and for the SIM PIN?

Would that pose a security risk?

Last edited:
Reactions: BriceApp

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
Just my opinion but when it comes to security and passwords (or PINs), redundancy is never a good choice. If I were to break the phone PIN I am more than likely going to try the same sequence of numbers (or a subset if limited to 4) if I were to guess the SIM PIN.

Reactions: KaliYoni

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So I should set a different PIN for the SIM PIN. Correct?

Or is it even necessary to set a SIM PIN? Because all the sensitive data is all stored on the internal phone storage system.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
So I should set a different PIN for the SIM PIN. Correct?

Or is it even necessary to set a SIM PIN? Because all the sensitive data is all stored on the internal phone storage system.
If you have a physical SIM, yes, a PIN is a good idea. This way, if your phone is stolen, the thief cannot remove your SIM and put it in a different phone, thereby gaining access to your cellular information. They would have to know the PIN to use the SIM in a different device

If you have eSIM, then as long as you have a strong PIN on your iPhone, I feel you should be good. If the phone is stolen with eSIM, the thief cannot move the SIM since there is not a physical SIM card. I would set your phone to erase after 10 incorrect PIN attempts however.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
All right thanks.

Just to confirm, it would be a good idea for extra security to set a different PIN on my SIM card?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My SIM PIN is different than my phone passcode. The way I see it, it's an extra layer of security so I want a different number just to make it more difficult to get past..

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Can I set a 4-digit long PIN just for the SIM PIN?

Because, it only would take 3 failed attempts to try and guess the SIM PIN anyways and the SIM card would be locked and useless.

And I’ll make up a random digit PIN.

So my Screen Lock or my iPhone PIN would be 6-digits and the SIM PIN would be only 4 digits long. And I will NOT be using any parts of the iPhone PIN numbers for creating the SIM PIN.

Would that be fine?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Who are waiting to confirm it? I gave you one opinion saying yes, if you need more maybe you should start a poll. Most people don't even lock their physical SIM, I never did until recently.. E-SIM is secure without a PIN, you can use that if you want and have no worries

Last edited:

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So my Screen Lock or my iPhone PIN would be 6-digits and the SIM PIN would be only 4 digits long. And I will NOT be using any parts of the iPhone PIN numbers for creating the SIM PIN.

Would that be fine?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Would that be fine?
That's fine. For example my iPhone passcode is 10 digits and my SIM PIN is 4 digits that are different. You only get 3 attempts to get the PIN correct or the SIM card is locked and unusable. You can make your SIM PIN longer if you'd like, I would just make it different that the phone passcode but that's up to you..

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
If you enable sim pin that means if someone turns it off it runs out of battery, when they turn it back on your phone won’t be able to connect to iCloud find my iPhone right?

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
If you enable sim pin that means if someone turns it off it runs out of battery, when they turn it back on your phone won’t be able to connect to iCloud find my iPhone right?
That is correct, but in the scenario that someone is turning off your phone they'd probably pop out the SIM card anyway to avoid it connecting when turned on. The risk is then that they could use your SIM to get 2-factor text messages or make calls. The question is really down to whether you think your lost phone is more likely to be found by a good or bad person - if they are bad then a SIM PIN is sensible as it prevents misuse of your number. If they are good then leaving the SIM PIN off allows you to call the phone/find the location if it gets powered on by someone looking to find the owner

Reactions: rijc99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.