Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustler16

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 15, 2023
Hey everyone,
I will be traveling to Europe next month but I am concerned about the international roaming charges. Any suggestions would be welcomed for affordable data packages. My friends are suggesting me to go for eSIMs rather than purchasing sim from local provider. But I am not sure abou eSIMs. I have iPhone 13 will it support eSIMs?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I will be traveling to Europe next month but I am concerned about the international roaming charges.
I have made many trips to Europe with my iPhone. Your iPhone 13 has a physical SIM. I traveled last with my iPhone 13 Pro. I got a SIM when I arrived in Europe, turned off my eSIM, installed the physical SIM and was good to go. I did not do calling, I just needed the data.

My advice is to get a physical SIM when you arrive in Europe. Depending on your travels you can get SIMs that will span multiple countries. A little more expensive but needed to travel freely between countries and maintain data coverage. The plans are cheap. My last trip was only $10.00 for a gigabyte of data, some number of texts that I did not use, and some minutes of local calling which I did not use.

Don't even bother trying to use a U.S. plan while overseas. They are ridiculously expensive. Use local and get a local number.

When you return, actually on the plane, remove the physical SIM and turn on your eSIM.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I have made many trips to Europe with my iPhone. Your iPhone 13 has a physical SIM. I traveled last with my iPhone 13 Pro. I got a SIM when I arrived in Europe, turned off my eSIM, installed the physical SIM and was good to go. I did not do calling, I just needed the data.

My advice is to get a physical SIM when you arrive in Europe. Depending on your travels you can get SIMs that will span multiple countries. A little more expensive but needed to travel freely between countries and maintain data coverage. The plans are cheap. My last trip was only $10.00 for a gigabyte of data, some number of texts that I did not use, and some minutes of local calling which I did not use.

Don't even bother trying to use a U.S. plan while overseas. They are ridiculously expensive. Use local and get a local number.

When you return, actually on the plane, remove the physical SIM and turn on your eSIM.
I paid a total of $100 for my trip to London to have unlimited data through AT&T's International Day Plan. It's 10$ per day and 5$ for any extra line per day. I don't think that is too bad for a vacation.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In most cases, a local SIM will offer better value than eSIM. The only benefit of eSIM is convenience.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I paid a total of $100 for my trip to London to have unlimited data through AT&T's International Day Plan.
I paid €10.00 for a 26 day trip in Europe. My coverage included Germany, Norway, Austria and the Czech Republic. For what I paid for the entire trip only got you one day.

But you know what, if you are happy with your decision, then good for you. You made the correct decision for you.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I paid €10.00 for a 26 day trip in Europe. My coverage included Germany, Norway, Austria and the Czech Republic. For what I paid for the entire trip only got you one day.

But you know what, if you are happy with your decision, then good for you. You made the correct decision for you.
I was also sim locked since I was still paying for my phone at that time, so even if I wanted an international sim, I couldn't do it.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I was also sim locked since I was still paying for my phone at that time, so even if I wanted an international sim, I couldn't do it.
Yes, that limits options. I would have considered a cheap burner phone from Walmart and got a SIM for that phone when I arrived overseas. If it got stolen overseas, oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.