Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London
This is an open Beta Patch for SimCity 4 Rush Hour. The open beta status of this patch is intended to let the user of this patch provide us with feedback as to how well it works. For now, Simcity 4 Rush Hour is still not supported for play on Intel Macs. Feel free to provide us with feedback as to how well it is working, or what you would like fixed in the patch. Please send all feedback to feedback@aspyr.com.

Source

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I'm missing something, is this a full version Beta for the game, or is it just a patch test to see if it works on intel?

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
well to me the performance is either worse or the same as running in rosetta, in fact i preferred it in rosetta, now it seems slower at loading buildings, i never had that in rosetta

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I guess this is a start at getting a real UB patch. I guess this will do.

SimCity 4 was always a resource hog and was barely playable on most high-end Macs and PCs, so somehow I'm not surprised by the performance reports.

Macmadant, what kind of a Mac are you using? Preferably post CPU and GPU specs. A good GPU is useful in getting rid of the bottleneck of redrawing buildings (and I think there was an option in the graphics settings to optimize it).

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London
Well I have to say that the performance is worse than while running the PPC version on my MBP and Intel iMac.

Can anyone with a PPC Mac let us know whether performance is better as this release is also meant to improve performance for older Macs too.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Well, I guess this is a start at getting a real UB patch. I guess this will do.

SimCity 4 was always a resource hog and was barely playable on most high-end Macs and PCs, so somehow I'm not surprised by the performance reports.

Macmadant, what kind of a Mac are you using? Preferably post CPU and GPU specs. A good GPU is useful in getting rid of the bottleneck of redrawing buildings (and I think there was an option in the graphics settings to optimize it).

2.16 GHz C2D
X1600 128 MB

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I just gave the UB patch a try on my MacBook Pro, and it's definitely a much better experience, beta version or not. I'm using a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM and the 128MB Radeon X1600. I have all graphics settings on the highest except for # of sims/cars, which is set to medium (I just don't like seeing too many little things moving around) and I've got the music turned on.

Now, of course, the patch doesn't suddenly make the game scrolling as fluid as a first person shooter or anything, but I don't think this game was coded to ever really perform like that.

I haven't tried on my MacPro yet... the performance on it probably won't be as good, because I only have 1GB of RAM in there for now.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
2.16 GHz C2D
X1600 128 MB

Interesting. My friend has the PC version and scrolling was smooth as butter on a AMD 2XXX+ with 256 MB of RAM and a nVidia FX 5700 and when I tried it on a G5 with a 9600 Pro it was just as smooth, so I'm a little discouraged that the patch isn't working well. Hopefully Rev B will be better.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I have been playing the game with some of my old cities (very big) and have discovered that the game seems to run much, much, much better when you check "Run in Rosetta" than when its running as an Intel binary. Also in the Intel binary I have seen bugs, like switching of colors for routes, etc...

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Why is it only for the Rush Hour version? I have the original Sim City 4 here, and it says "Aspyr" on the box.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Why is it only for the Rush Hour version? I have the original Sim City 4 here, and it says "Aspyr" on the box.

Because the code is different so they've started with the Rush Hour version. I would think they would eventually get to the regular Sim City 4, but only time will tell. You're not missing much though, so just keep playing the most recent version that you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.