Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hi. I played the original SimCity games when they were released a long time ago and I'm thinking of downloading a current version to play on my Mac mini M1. After many web searches I cannot differentiate between SimCity Complete Edition and SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. Can anyone explain what the major differences are and why one would choose one over the other?

App store choices shown below.
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 6.41.21 PM.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Simcity 4 is the older game, and Simcity complete is the newer version with expansion packs. I've not played either one, but I suspect Simcity 4 follows the traditional simcity games and the latest version is been rebuilt from the ground up and reimagined. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I did hear complaints when it was released that you need an internet connection and the game phones home - something that many people didn't like. I'm not sure if that's still a thing or not.

Graphics will be better in simcity complete simply because its a newer game

Tapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I read that the Complete Edition doesn't play like the classic and is a bit disappointing in how the city functions and works if you like the classic game. I'll probably go for SC4. Hopefully a few more people chime in with their experience.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I had no idea they'd done any expansions for this (the complete edition). I assumed it had been discontinued, since it's the game that effectively killed the Sim City brand. I played it a lot when it first came out, it has a really good interface, it's fun to play and it looks great.

The problem that made me (and probably most of its player base) abandon it after a while is that the cities you can create are absolutely tiny. Sim Town/Village would be a more accurate title. It's meant to be played with a group of players managing separate tiny cities on a larger map, and I tried that once but getting a group together was difficult back then - impossible now.

Because building space runs out so quickly, I started creating separate cities of my own to service the main one. I had an industrial one where I'd send all my garbage and generate power, and another one for a luxury holiday island. But the game isn't really designed to function like that, and the links between islands would break down while the other ones were idle. Visiting each island meant saving, quitting, reloading.

Originally it was always online, as EA claimed that the background simulation required cloud processing to work. That was proven to be a lie when the game was cracked. It was purely an anti-piracy measure, and legit copies of the game would frequently quit because of server disconnections while pirate versions functioned fine. I believe some of the hacked versions also removed the tiny size limits for the cities. EA insisted that cities had to be so small because of the complexity of tracking each individual Sim - obviously another lie. By this point I'd given up on it though.

I just tried loading it up to see what has changed, and it doesn't even appear in the EA Desktop app for Windows, which has been around for a couple of years now. It's requires the legacy Origin launcher.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I would highly recommend Cities:Skylines, it plays like the old Simcity, graphics are awesome and so many plugins/addins. Its a fun game
That one never really clicked with me. I found it too fiddly, at least compared with Sim City (the recent one). I didn't like the sheer amount of infrastructure that you need to create just to get water to your houses, and the way you can only make narrow zones attached to roads (so you're out of luck if you place the roads too far apart). I preferred Tropico, because at least that's doing something different and isn't just a blatant copy of a superior game.

What I want is the two games from the OP combined. The super clean graphics and easy interface from the Sim City reboot (RIP) with the scope and scale of Sim City 4.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
New Sim City - it is really SC5 with a new name was a complete mess on launch. Removed a ton of features and had online issues. At launch it was a hot mess. I do not know how it plays now though, if the developers have fixed all the issues. Based on the above posts I will guess no?

Sim City 4 and the Rush Hour expansion though is a solid game. Well worth playing if you can handle it's visuals. Best to look up a lets play to see if you like it. I would say SC4 and SC2000 are the best SC games. SC3000 has a number of design flaws which made the game needlessly complicated.

City Skylines is a nice alternative but I still find SC4 to be better.

Just note well what you need to play SC4 + RH. It is an old game by this point and will get harder to play as the years go on. Harder as in less accessible due to it being an older game. If you emulate older versions of MacOS you can play it there. Or . . . I'm not sure about the App Store version. I've not tried that. You'll have to look into that yourself. As should I as I should get it again as it is a rather good game.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I would highly recommend Cities:Skylines, it plays like the old Simcity, graphics are awesome and so many plugins/addins. Its a fun game

I looked this up very quickly on Steam and it has a TON of DLC packs that are all separate purchases. How many of these did you find necessary for enjoyable play? Base price was like 7.99 and the full boat was over 100.00. I noticed there was a separate pack for airports, does this mean that airports do not exist in the base or that the expansion just offers a better/updated offerings?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I looked this up very quickly on Steam and it has a TON of DLC packs that are all separate purchases. How many of these did you find necessary for enjoyable play?
You really don't need any, but if I were to spend money mass transit and Industries are the more popular ones. I also liked Green cities personally.

Reactions: icanhazmac

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
Just note well what you need to play SC4 + RH. It is an old game by this point and will get harder to play as the years go on. Harder as in less accessible due to it being an older game. If you emulate older versions of MacOS you can play it there. Or . . . I'm not sure about the App Store version. I've not tried that. You'll have to look into that yourself. As should I as I should get it again as it is a rather good game.
I have the Steam version of Sim City 4 Deluxe, and Aspyr’s updated it to be a 64-bit app that runs perfectly on modern macOS (at least, it does on my 14” MBP w/ Monterey). The only issue I have is that it doesn’t seem to handle retina resolutions on my machine well (though it theoretically has retina support according to others), so it’s a little blurry until I figure out how to manually override the game’s resolution.

I never played Sim City 2013 given all the backlash to it, but SC4 is a fantastic game with a surprisingly active community. OP, I highly recommend you go for it between the two.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So far I've played a little with the latest version of sim city (just going through the tutorial) and it appears that part of the game is dealing with people, i.e., talk bubbles to deal with issues. If that is the case, that seems to be a bummer. I'd rather see needs pop up, like lack of water, either visually showing no water or through a dashboard display and adjust it.

For instance, in Cities:Skylines, if I don't have enough water, I see a blinking water droplet in the areas. Plus the dashboard that shows that stuff will be in the red, so I can then add more water pumps (or pipes).

I'll probably spend a bit more time today in the game, I do like the navigation and graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.