Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I am trying to create a simple website for a doctor friend with just text and photos. I tried Google Sites and was very disappointed. Google's Domain Name service looks reasonable however. Any tips on what sites are user friendly?

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I am trying to create a simple website for a doctor friend with just text and photos. I tried Google Sites and was very disappointed. Google's Domain Name service looks reasonable however. Any tips on what sites are user friendly?

Scratch that. I was using the old version of google sites. The new version is very simple and highly recommended!

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Actually I ran into a hiccup with New Google Sites. It doesn't allow web hosting only forwarding. So I purchase a domain name and it forwards it to sites.google.com/view/nameofsite. The Classic Google Sites allows you to host the website on your purchased domain but the web editor is terrible. Looking for alternatives now.

Last edited:

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Will look into it :)

Yes a friend told me about wordpress today. Will look into it.

Only thing which puts me off wordpress is that you need to constantly keep it updated, as there are a lot of plugins with security flaws.
This makes it not suitable for websites with logins, or shopping, or email forms.
Basically, anything useful you want to do with wordpress rapidly becomes a headache of "what plugin is vulnerable today ? And what do I have to update now ?"

I was an admin for a political site that used wordpress, and we had nothing but trouble with the plugins which made it useful to us. In the end, we just shifted most of our site to a local social media network.

Reactions: 960design

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Only thing which puts me off wordpress is that you need to constantly keep it updated, as there are a lot of plugins with security flaws.
This makes it not suitable for websites with logins, or shopping, or email forms.
Basically, anything useful you want to do with wordpress rapidly becomes a headache of "what plugin is vulnerable today ? And what do I have to update now ?"

I was an admin for a political site that used wordpress, and we had nothing but trouble with the plugins which made it useful to us. In the end, we just shifted most of our site to a local social media network.
Wordpress has an auto upgrade feature. Never worry about being up to date.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I wouldn't hassle with installing a CMS like WP, unless it's a managed deployment service, and even _then_ I'd look into a turnkey solution, where the hosting, tools, etc., are all bundled up as a single service. This company provides some beautiful designs OOTB, you can easily administrate the content, add plugins for additional functionality (basic form handling to complete e-com services).

https://www.squarespace.com/

Reactions: kiwipeso1

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
How bout a website builder service like Webs, Weebly or Wix? (or Squarespace as mentioned ↑) I think that's what you're looking for; they're like Google Sites but far more robust and you can use your own domain name.
I'd personally recommend Weebly because Webs is too buggy and Wix is too "freestyle" (you have to position every little thing).

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
I recently came across this open source static site cms called publii (https://getpublii.com/). Not sure, if that's something to consider, but it might be an option, if they don't wanna go the squarespace/wix/weebly route, as those can be a bit limiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.