Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmo19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
I recently got a Mac Pro & MacBook Pro. I'd like to be able to work on projects from either one. I know I can allow file sharing on both, and set up a "shared" folder on the Mac Pro and work on any files that are there.

But I would like to be able to work on any files on the system. It's kind of a pain to move stuff in and out of the "shared" folder all the time. Is the only way to do this to share some huge folder that contains all the projects I might work on? How secure is that? The MacBook Pro obviously connects wirelessly through a router.

What's the best home network setup for my situation? Thanks!

Doctor Doom

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Castle Doom, Latveria
on the finder window under the shared section on your mac pro you sign in with the admin password of the macbook pro, and vice versa, that gives you full access to each of them from either one.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
the easiest thing to do is add a user with read+write access to both computers.

i am doing this between my mac mini and macbook. you can connect to the other computer via wireless (which would be pretty slow with bigger files) OR with ethernet.

you set up a user on each computer that has a password for the full access. have your keychain remember it and it's that simple.

you can now click on your other computer's hard drive and navigate through it as if it was your own!

hope this helps! everything you need is in the file sharing pane under System Preferences.

kmo19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Are you talking about Remote Login? If not, which option in the Sharing area of System Prefs are you referring to?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
nope!

system preferences->sharing->file sharing

click the plus button and add a user with read+write

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Are you talking about Remote Login? If not, which option in the Sharing area of System Prefs are you referring to?

In System Preferences: click on Sharing, then File Sharing = Enabled.
In Finder, Command+K or Go, Connect to Server, then enter afp://<macproname>/<resourcename>

You should also be able to see the computer name of the other computer appear in your sidebar. You can then click on it, and on the right pane (at the top) select Connect As. Enter remote credentials to access.

kmo19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
I see the area where you can turn File Sharing on and set up Users, but it also requires you to associate "Shared Folders" with each user. Do I just click the "plus" underneath and select my hard drive?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't think you should even need to. As the others said, if you log into one of the machines with your administrator username and password, you should get access to the entire drive.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I see the area where you can turn File Sharing on and set up Users, but it also requires you to associate "Shared Folders" with each user. Do I just click the "plus" underneath and select my hard drive?

Yes this will work. You need to specify the root of the drive as a share point.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
it's really not that hard as everyone is making it haha just click here and there and if it works it works. it's a mac - not a pc after all! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.