Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Sesshi said:
OP has PPC Mini
in his first post he says it's an intel.

On the Intel Minis the input is line-level
...meaning that plain ol' mic-level-outputting mics won't work. the OP bought the wrong mic and should either get a cheapie USB converter, or return his mic for a USB one.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
the imic is one example, but i've not used it, nor can i tell if it provides the phantom power that i think your mic needs. check w/ griffin first.

so you know, i wouldn't count on getting any decent quality here.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
zimv20 said:
in his first post he says it's an intel.

Ah

(slaps head)

I can't read. Well either way I'm giving the correct advice :D

The iMic has/is a preamp which is what you need for that Mic, but as I said an 'on offer' Samson C01U wouldn't be much more than the cost of the crappy mic + iMic and will give far better results.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
zimv20 said:
the imic is one example, but i've not used it, nor can i tell if it provides the phantom power that i think your mic needs. check w/ griffin first.

so you know, i wouldn't count on getting any decent quality here.

So instead of being able to use some cheap generic mic you have to buy some expensive USB one? Whatever happened to "it just works" ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Heres what it says in the manual:

You can connect external microphones or other audio equipment to the audio in/
optical digital audio in (,) port. The audio in port is also a S/PDIF stereo 3.5 miniphono
jack.

The audio in port does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use selfpowered
devices. You can use a Toslink cable and a Toslink jack-to-miniplug adapter to
connect a Digital Audio Tape (DAT) deck or digital instruments to input and mix your
own music.

Well thats crap lol

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
MacSA said:
The audio in port does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use selfpowered devices.
and that's the crap that drives me nuts. why can't they phrase it in accepted terms, and talk about phantom power and line level? 'cuz "selfpowered" is ambiguous -- does that mean the jack doesn't throw phantom, or does it mean there isn't a mic pre in there at all?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Not sure why you're going on about phantom power all the time. There's a difference between a preamp and phantom power. A preamp is what unpowered dynamic mics need.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'm quite aware of the difference. i'm saying that apple's vague language doesn't communicate effectively what the port provides.

edit: in a manual other than apple's, i'd read "need self-powered mic" as "condenser mics require their own power supply".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.