Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I would probably get better replies from the phpBB support forums, but I'll try you guys first :)

I recently installed phpBB on my site. This is the first time I've used it, and I chose it because I couldn't justify buying a copy of vBulletin. There are a few simple things I can't figure out how to do, all relating to moderators deleting things.

The first question: How do I view deleted posts and threads? Nice and simple in vB, but I can't figure this one out in phpBB.

My other questions are related, and may become obvious once the first problem is solved. How do I undelete posts and threads? And when a post or thread is deleted, how do I tell which moderator did it?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
i could only tell you in vBulletin terms. if that would be at all helpful i would be happy to explain.

edit: UM DUH, i just noticed who posted this, i am sure you don't need vBulletin help from me Nermal... [doh] my apologies, it's been a rough few days. :eek:

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Unless it's changed, in phpbb when you delete a post it is gone for good. There is no recovery system implemented. It would probably be better to create a private forum that only the mods can see and move the posts there instead of deleting them.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Open-source rubbish :rolleyes:

Oh well, I asked on the official forum anyway, just in case.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
DeSnousa said:
Nermal I would love a link to your site.

No you wouldn't, you just think you would :p

Seriously though, it only applies to people who live in this part of NZ. Furthermore, if I post the link on here, the poor server will die a horrible death :eek:

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
wrc fan said:
Unless it's changed, in phpbb when you delete a post it is gone for good. There is no recovery system implemented. It would probably be better to create a private forum that only the mods can see and move the posts there instead of deleting them.

this is good advice.
i have an archive/restricted area for tossing threads as well, it works out great. if it is a specific post or two they can split the thread and toss the parts that are unwanted into the resticted forum. our regular moderators cannot "hard delete" though thank god. since it appears yours can i'd place a guidline into the works that states they should just move threads/split threads with unwanted posts into that designated area, instead of deleting when not warranted.

i would think that there is a moderator log with the phpBB - where it would be i don't know.
sorry for the boo-boo in misreading your post Nermal, i'm glad some others got in on this.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The guys at the official forum pointed me to a mod which allows you to hide posts instead of delete them. I haven't really looked into it yet, but it could be useful :)

iBlue, get some sleep or something :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.