Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inthecup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Going to buy my 1st iPhone, have a mac with default "Mail" all I want to do is to be able to check my email on my new iphone without having to change my email address, will MobileMe do this for me? Do I need MobileMe to do this? Thanks so much from this low-tech old guy.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
MobileMe is not needed to check the same email address with various devices.

For example, you have a Hotmail account, you can access it via your Mac(s) and your iPhone and any other device that has access to the internet.

inthecup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I don't have hotmail, gail, yahoo mail or anything like that, I have only my default email from my mac that I don't have to sign in on.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I don't have hotmail, gail, yahoo mail or anything like that, I have only my default email from my mac that I don't have to sign in on.

That I don't understand.

Can you give an example of what is written after the @?

Like example@mac.com or something similar?

Even though, you can setup your iPhone to have access to the same email as your Mac if you use the right settings, as email is universal.

Because GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail and many other email services offer a POP3 or IMAP service to use a mail client instead of a browser to login to your mail account.

inthecup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
@verizon.net I think I understand now, didn't kmow I could set up anything with my new iPhone, it will be my 1st smartphone, thanks from a very low-tech old dude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.