Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
My mother is terrified of answering the door, and I'd like to get her a battery powered security camera that will ping her iPhone and iPad when someone walks up to the house. I don't want a doorbell cam because the door is 90 degrees to the walkway from the street. It should have zones so it doesn't pick up cars or people on the sidewalk, and it shouldn't pick up swaying trees and bushes.

I've tried looking myself, but it's such a pain to figure out what works with Homekit or Matter or whatever. I just want a simple solution that is reliable.

Thanks for the help!

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I've had Nest Outdoor cams for the last several years that have been super reliable. However, they are not battery operated, nor are they HomeKit compatible out of the box.

However, the Starling hub is an excellent product that puts all Nest products into HomeKit and it works seamlessly.

As far as battery-operated... I don't believe you would be happy with a camera that would need constant recharging or battery swaps. Wifi cameras need power. The Nest Outdoor cams just need a wall outlet within 25 feet and the cord/converter is weatherproof.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
My mother is terrified of answering the door, and I'd like to get her a battery powered security camera that will ping her iPhone and iPad when someone walks up to the house. I don't want a doorbell cam because the door is 90 degrees to the walkway from the street. It should have zones so it doesn't pick up cars or people on the sidewalk, and it shouldn't pick up swaying trees and bushes.

I've tried looking myself, but it's such a pain to figure out what works with Homekit or Matter or whatever. I just want a simple solution that is reliable.

Thanks for the help!
With HomeKit cams, you can select activity zones that block out specified areas (i.e. a tree, a bush, the street, etc). This works really well. I have my street blocked out and I’m not getting Motion notifications when cars drive by like a used to.

Aqara just released their G4 video doorbell. I know you said that you don’t want a doorbell but this one is battery powered or wired (or both if you want battery backup to a hardwire) and can be mounted virtually anywhere as it comes with an adhesive backing for the mount. It also comes with a separate inside the house mounted chime that stores an SD card for 24/7 recording (something HomeKit cams can’t do with HomeKit alone). Included 7 day cloud video storage. Facial recognition (this is also a feature of HomeKit aside from the Aqara app). You get a doorbell with it so your mom will know if someone is actually trying to speak to the person of the house. Aqara is synonymous with speed and reliability.

Very reasonably priced on Amazon as all Aqara products are. (Currently $110 US with promo code USCAVDG4 (for US/CA).
If UK promo code is EUDOORBELLG4

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Facial recognition

Just wanted to point out that this technology is blocked depending on laws at your location.

For example, I am in Illinois, and we have a "biometric" law that forced Nest to remove facial recognition options from their camera software (for IL), prevents Facebook from auto-tagging people in photos, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just wanted to point out that this technology is blocked depending on laws at your location.

For example, I am in Illinois, and we have a "biometric" law that forced Nest to remove facial recognition options from their camera software (for IL), prevents Facebook from auto-tagging people in photos, etc.
Holy crap! That’s news to me. Works here in NY.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Holy crap! That’s news to me. Works here in NY.

Every FB user living in IL received over $300 from Facebook as part of that class action last year. I'll take the cash, but this Illinois law is kinda stupid, and was supposed to be amended for things like Nest cameras.

and...

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 2.58.15 PM.png

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Every FB user living in IL received over $300 from Facebook as part of that class action last year. I'll take the cash, but this Illinois law is kinda stupid, and was supposed to be amended for things like Nest cameras.

and...

View attachment 2177793
Amazing. I think the feature works really well. Very rarely it confuses a face with a different name but I can definitely see the confusion (two people with same haircut and facial hair but capturing them from a little distance with low light conditions.) Other than that it’s pretty much on point.

Wonder what the reasoning is. Probably somehow giving criminals an advantage lol. NY tends in that direction as well.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Aqara just released their G4 video doorbell. I know you said that you don’t want a doorbell but this one is battery powered or wired (or both if you want battery backup to a hardwire) and can be mounted virtually anywhere as it comes with an adhesive backing for the mount. It also comes with a separate inside the house mounted chime that stores an SD card for 24/7 recording (something HomeKit cams can’t do with HomeKit alone). Included 7 day cloud video storage. Facial recognition (this is also a feature of HomeKit aside from the Aqara app). You get a doorbell with it so your mom will know if someone is actually trying to speak to the person of the house. Aqara is synonymous with speed and reliability.

Very reasonably priced on Amazon as all Aqara products are. (Currently $110 US with promo code USCAVDG4 (for US/CA).
If UK promo code is EUDOORBELLG4

Yeah, I just not sure the doorbell cam is what she needs. We may try it as there just aren't a lot of options available.

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.