Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hamburg
Hey Guys, i bought a used Mac pro 2008 and it came with a SSD (Samsung 830 w 250GB) installed. After checking speeds in Blackmagic Test (W 250 / R 250) i assume its connected by SATA - will open machine later when i get home.

So if i buy the OWC Accelsior S adapter and put the drive simply from the sata to the pci - is that all i have to do? Or will i have to reset everything and set the mac up freshly new?

I´ll get a 680 gtx on monday so the SSD would go in the pci slot right above it - is this a pci slot with enough speed?

I found a picture and attached it for a better view. :)

Bonus Question - when my 680 arrives do i simply connect the 2 6-pin cables how i want or do they have to put in a specific way / order?

Hope i can get this "project done easily" :D
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2011htgchecklist03.jpg
    2011htgchecklist03.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 377

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
You might try this over in the Mac Pro forum. I assume you got a (3,1)? I think I'd want to reinstall OSX anyway just to make sure it's set up the way I want. I'm not sure if you can just move the SSD to the OWC (which is a SATA III adapter, the native SATA is SATA II) since it will change the device hardware path.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Reinstalling macOS should not be necessary. You should be able to pull the drive, attach it to the the Accelsior S and continue to use your existing macOS installation.

The two motherboard cables that plug in to your GTX 680 can go in either power connector. There is no special order. Since you will be getting a GTX 680, I highly recommend you flash it with Mac EFI firmware so that you can get full boot screens. The compatible firmware can be found in the Mac Pro sub-forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.