Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use it?

• No

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

davidrichter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
My friend had a clever idea how to install a Screenprotector dust-free and precise. All thats needed is a folded adhesive foil. We made a video that shows the technique. In principle it is a simple DIY solution, but we think it could be a good product that is included with every Screen-Protector you buy. What do you think?

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Looks a great idea. I'm one of those guys who leaves the shower on for 20 minutes for a dust free atmosphere and stress over getting it on perfect.

This looks like it would work well, I'd buy one every year on iPhone launch that's for sure.

davidrichter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
Looks a great idea. I'm one of those guys who leaves the shower on for 20 minutes for a dust free atmosphere and stress over getting it on perfect.

I also tried the shower-thing in the past. It somehow worked, but it’s a strange workaround.

Great to hear, that you like the Idea. That gives us confidence.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
looks like a nice idea. Widespread use probably depends on cost alone.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
My friend had a clever idea how to install a Screenprotector dust-free and precise. All thats needed is a folded adhesive foil. We made a video that shows the technique. In principle it is a simple DIY solution, but we think it could be a good product that is included with every Screen-Protector you buy. What do you think?

It looks pretty good! I do wonder though, is there the potential to damage the screen through installation?

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018

This looks like it would work well, I'd buy one every year on iPhone launch that's for sure.
This is my technique, too.

davidrichter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
It looks pretty good! I do wonder though, is there the potential to damage the screen through installation?

Every standard glass screen protector has an (silicone) adhesive on it that might have an effect on the oleophobic coating of a new iPhone screen. Our foil also uses an adhesive, so it also might have an wear-off effect on the coating. But if you use no protector at all, the coating wears off naturally after weeks of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.