Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I haven't used the SM 57 I have around the house to record guitar yet, but I want to now. I know I can't plug right into the line-in port on my latest revision g4 12" powerbook, and that I need a pre-amp or something of the sort.

Is that what Griffin's iMic does? Then I could just go from the SM 57 into the iMic and then into the line in on the powerbook?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
well...

calebjohnston said:
I haven't used the SM 57 I have around the house to record guitar yet, but I want to now. I know I can't plug right into the line-in port on my latest revision g4 12" powerbook, and that I need a pre-amp or something of the sort.

Is that what Griffin's iMic does? Then I could just go from the SM 57 into the iMic and then into the line in on the powerbook?

like zim said, yer gonna need a pre-amp or a mixer of some sort to use that SM57. Personally, I hook my SM57 up to a Mackie DFX6 mixer which I run through an M-Audio 2496 sound card. Inasmuch as yer using a powerbook, that solution probably wouldn't work for you.

I don't own one (so I can't say for sure how good it is), but many people seem to be happy with the M-AudioFW410...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-410-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=701385

I think the FW410 can be daisy-chained to another FW410, so you if you decide to get another you could hook them together...

Or you could have a look at the M-Audio Solo...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-Solo-Mobile-Audio-Interface?sku=701364

Either one of these would do the job. There's other stuff that's less expensive, much of it USB, that might better fit your budget. IMHO you might be better off to avoid USB for this application. You'd be running a lot of current through a port that really was designed for keyboards, mice and other low-voltage stuff like that---may not be too healthy for the laptop's innards. That's just my opinion, mind you, but being cautious never hurt anybody.

hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.