Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

istvan60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask for suggestions, we had to upgrade my Gran's iPad (4th gen) to a 6th gen on which the Photos app is much more "complicated" more options, new design etc. which really confuses her vs. the Photos app on the 4th gen iPad (iOS11).

Could you suggest an Apple Photos app alternative for iPad which basically just shows the photos I uploaded onto her iPad, and onto which she could save pictures to from Safari or Mail?

Basically, what she needs is a gallery app, that is as simple as a nail in the wall.

Thank you!

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
To be honest, you could stick around with other tools but I think they‘ll be at least more complicated than the stock one. Simple UI with Google Photos, no need to backup to GCloud if this is unwanted. But I think Apple Photos is the way to go

Reactions: sean000

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I’ve been down this road with various apps and grandparents. The risk with google photos, or any other third party photo app, is that you will be training them for the inevitable obsolescence. The worst case scenario is that you have some family members on iPhones and others on Android. Then you will find yourself posting the same photos to shared albums on both iCloud and Google. I thought Apple fixed this when they released the ability to share a link to a shared album, but it was just too cumbersome last I checked. I even tried to standardize on Google Photos at some point, but when most of your family are Apple/iCloud users that just doesn’t fly. The Apple users have little patience for the Google users ?

The nice thing about iCloud shared albums is that the notifications will make sure they see the photos at least once. After that there may also be bundled “memories.”

Reactions: istvan60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.