Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I actually like iOS 10 and iOS11 but since iOS 10 if I start a YT video and want to turn off the screen it will not continue the audio from CC. It switches to the music app. Is there a workaround for this that i’m missing?

The other thing I noticed in iOS 11 is that the YT player is no longer visible in the Safari reader. Is there another browser that has this feature?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I actually like iOS 10 and iOS11 but since iOS 10 if I start a YT video and want to turn off the screen it will not continue the audio from CC. It switches to the music app. Is there a workaround for this that i’m missing?

The other thing I noticed in iOS 11 is that the YT player is no longer visible in the Safari reader. Is there another browser that has this feature?
Now that Protube has been removed as well, I think we are all out of luck.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Google themselves disabled backgrounding of YouTube because of YouTube Red. If you have that you can background YouTube on everything including Safari. I have Google Play Music which comes with YouTube Red so I just tested that out.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
It appears the Dolphin browser is the only one that lets you play in the background.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That sucks. I think Protube was removed because of me.

It was all of us. If anything, I am amazed that protube managed to stay around for as long as it did. No ads, PIP, background audio, these are like the antithesis of YouTube's business model.

Reactions: Cayden

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Tubi is a decent alternative, ruined by the fact that the developer always seems to have their account "hacked" every few months which forces you to move to a new version of the app. It otherwise has useful features like background playback.

Reactions: Bathplug

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
  1. Search your video
  2. Request Desktop Site
  3. Play the video
  4. Exit fullscreen
  5. After around 10 seconds, switch tabs and wait around 3 more seconds
  6. Exit Safari and play using CC
I am listening to the Game of Thrones soundtrack with this method right now.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Guys..GUYS!

Have no fear.

This site: https://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/

Add it to your home screen. It's nowhere near as easy to use as an app, no doubt, but it lets you do PIP for any video - even live streams.

Google are really in the 'screwing over YouTube mood' lately, I hear they also stopped a lot of revenue making from channels that have things like swearing in them etc.... censorship and their tight gripped control must stop.

If only we could boycott YouTube. It's a shame all the talent is there. Perhaps some of the affected channels would consider also uploading to Vimeo etc alongside YouTube so we had an alternative to follow them and cut Google out. Wishful thinking though

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

I've been using Pipifier on my iPad in iOS 10 and in iOS 11 PB, and it works quite nicely.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pipifier-pip-for-every-web-video/id1234771095?mt=8

Reactions: Feenician

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
  1. Search your video
  2. Request Desktop Site
  3. Play the video
  4. Exit fullscreen
Impossible they locked it down because of Youtube Red
[doublepost=1504712660][/doublepost]
  1. Search your video
  2. Request Desktop Site
  3. Play the video
  4. Exit fullscreen
LMAO WHY DIDNT I KNOW THIS

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
That's alittle bs though plenty of you tubers get paid a ***** ton for ads i mean lets be real.
You might be surprised how little most of them make. Patreon and Twitch are starting to make up the gap. Even Linus is starting to release video on other platforms that are subscription based.

Reactions: gobikerider

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Yeah, how dare they take measures to ensure the content creators get paid!

please.. sad that actually has u sold, cause they totally werent getting paid prior right right. kind of reminds me of overpriced games & anything really, then wonder why "unexpected companies" end up going belly up lol...

"pay the content creators so charge them to have background playback!" my..brain...

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
The Softorino YouTube Converter can download YouTube videos (or just the audio of it) directly from a Mac into iPhone/iPad Music/Video Library and they claim it's legal. They just released a new paid version a few weeks ago that also supports ringtones and WiFi transfer. I am still using the old one and it is working fine on High Sierra.

I fear they'll be the next one caught by Google. :(

https://softorino.com/youtube-converter-2/

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 20.48.40.png

Reactions: Rare_Josh

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Update: You can play YT videos in the background with Safari. In order to do that you need to put the video in fullscreen mode. Then you can press the home button and the video "automatically" continues. If you exit fullscreen mode and press the home button the audio stops.

I only tested this on the latest iOS 11 beta.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009

Don’t blame apple blame google. This functionality was removed when they released YouTube red. You can do this with YouTube red but have to pay

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Update: You can play YT videos in the background with Safari. In order to do that you need to put the video in fullscreen mode. Then you can press the home button and the video "automatically" continues. If you exit fullscreen mode and press the home button the audio stops.

Is this for the iPhone or the iPad? I can’t seem to get this to work on my iPad Pro (9.7) on DB 10. The problem is that the full screen mode isn’t actually full screen, it’s just the embedded full screen in YouTube.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Don’t blame apple blame google. This functionality was removed when they released YouTube red. You can do this with YouTube red but have to pay
I never once blamed anyone. I just started the thread because it stopped working for whatever reason. Now I know the work around in Safari and the Dolphin browser also let's you play YT videos in the background.
[doublepost=1505148103][/doublepost]
Is this for the iPhone or the iPad? I can’t seem to get this to work on my iPad Pro (9.7) on DB 10. The problem is that the full screen mode isn’t actually full screen, it’s just the embedded full screen in YouTube.
Oh sorry for not clarifying that. I got it to work on the 5th gen iPad. I'm still waiting for the power to come back on from Hurricane Irma. Try switching the webpage to the Reader, start the video, switch to fullscreen, wait for the video to start then press the home button. If you have several tabs open it won't work. However, the Dolphin browser works with multiple tabs open but you have to bring up CC then press the play button.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Guys..GUYS!

Have no fear.

This site: https://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/

Add it to your home screen. It's nowhere near as easy to use as an app, no doubt, but it lets you do PIP for any video - even live streams.

Google are really in the 'screwing over YouTube mood' lately, I hear they also stopped a lot of revenue making from channels that have things like swearing in them etc.... censorship and their tight gripped control must stop.

If only we could boycott YouTube. It's a shame all the talent is there. Perhaps some of the affected channels would consider also uploading to Vimeo etc alongside YouTube so we had an alternative to follow them and cut Google out. Wishful thinking though

This isn’t background audio, but if you use DuckDuckGo to search you can play the video from the search results. You can also put a YouTube video into PIP from there. This has the double bonus of not sending Google your searches.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Was this functionality just added in iOS 11? Tested in iOS 9.3.3 and it pauses on exit instead of continuing the audio.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The Softorino YouTube Converter can download YouTube videos (or just the audio of it) directly from a Mac into iPhone/iPad Music/Video Library and they claim it's legal. They just released a new paid version a few weeks ago that also supports ringtones and WiFi transfer. I am still using the old one and it is working fine on High Sierra.

I fear they'll be the next one caught by Google. :(

https://softorino.com/youtube-converter-2/

View attachment 716259
I am using the new paid version and it works well. I like it a little better than Downie, which I paid for as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.