Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Latte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hi everyone,

Just encountered a weird one, and can't see anyone else reporting it anywhere on the web. So, just curious if anyone else sees this too, and if anyone (even better) knows how to get rid of it:

Since the day I upgraded to iOS11, all email has a star to the left of it — grey if read, blue if unread. This is regardless of whether its a VIP contact, some regular contact, a completely unknown address — or even spam.
The interesting thing is that I get the same on my iPhone, my iPad AND since yesterday (High Sierra) even on my Mac. (On icloud.com though, there are no VIP stars where they're not supposed to be.)

Thoughts? Anyone else get this?

stars-on-mail.jpg

Latte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hi everyone,
...or, well, just me talking to myself.

But in case someone else comes here with the same problem, here's what I found:

For no apparent reason, somewhere during the update process to iOS11 my own email address or contact card must have been invisibly marked as VIP — even though my address itself didn't show up in the VIP list, and even though if looking at my contact card I still had the choice to ADD myself to the VIP list but not to remove me.
(BTW, this option seems only to be available if opening the contact card from within the email app, not if opening it from the address book app or phone app.)

Anyway: What I did was to ADD myself to the VIP list, after which that option changed into REMOVE from VIP list, which I did. (I then restarted the phone, which may or may not be necessary.)

This fixed my problem on all devices, albeit with some variation:
On my Mac, all the grey VIP stars on all my email, both in my inbox and other folders, immediately disappeared.
On my iOS devices, VIP stars on already received email unfortunately remain — but NEW email arrives without getting marked as VIP.

So, what distracted me there was the fact that the VIP was not the sender but the addressee (me) which no doubt isn't very productive in an inbox where all email is sent to — me.

Hope this may help someone else with the same problem!

/Latte.

ArtJuul

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
...or, well, just me talking to myself.

But in case someone else comes here with the same problem, here's what I found:

For no apparent reason, somewhere during the update process to iOS11 my own email address or contact card must have been invisibly marked as VIP — even though my address itself didn't show up in the VIP list, and even though if looking at my contact card I still had the choice to ADD myself to the VIP list but not to remove me.
(BTW, this option seems only to be available if opening the contact card from within the email app, not if opening it from the address book app or phone app.)

Anyway: What I did was to ADD myself to the VIP list, after which that option changed into REMOVE from VIP list, which I did. (I then restarted the phone, which may or may not be necessary.)

This fixed my problem on all devices, albeit with some variation:
On my Mac, all the grey VIP stars on all my email, both in my inbox and other folders, immediately disappeared.
On my iOS devices, VIP stars on already received email unfortunately remain — but NEW email arrives without getting marked as VIP.

So, what distracted me there was the fact that the VIP was not the sender but the addressee (me) which no doubt isn't very productive in an inbox where all email is sent to — me.

Hope this may help someone else with the same problem!

/Latte.
[doublepost=1534173309][/doublepost]Hi Latte, did you sort this issue out? I got now the same problem, and do not know what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.