Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Okay all, I have been searching and cannot find a single din apple carplay receiver. I can find plenty with a flip out screen, but I just want a single din without a flip out screen.

Has anyone seen one of these? If so please send me a link.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think there are any.

This kind of makes sense, considering the available space on single DIN to fit the CarPlay UI.

For comparison, having CarPlay on a single DIN would require the screen height to be smaller than the width of the original iPhone.

I am not saying it isn't possible to have something like this, but just improbable for Apple and aftermarket brands to develop something this.

I guess there is a reason for you not to do the flip/pop-out type?

Reactions: aristobrat

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The reason for not wanting a flip out is because it’s for my Harley and I’m worried about the vibration.

I don't think there are any.

This kind of makes sense, considering the available space on single DIN to fit the CarPlay UI.

For comparison, having CarPlay on a single DIN would require the screen height to be smaller than the width of the original iPhone.

I am not saying it isn't possible to have something like this, but just improbable for Apple and aftermarket brands to develop something this.

I guess there is a reason for you not to do the flip/pop-out type?

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Actually, if you look at them all they are single DIN bodies with screens attached, either flip or mounted but the bodies are all single DIN bodies.

I wonder if a single DIN like the Pioneer Smartphone Receiver would be better suited to your bike?

HMMM. Possibly, it would be mounting here. (see pic)

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 277

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Different mounting position (photo taken from crutchfield) but they are using it on a bike.

Not horribly priced either.

I think the only real problem you might have is your phone obstructing the speedo.

Attachments

• onabike.png
    onabike.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 269
Reactions: Justinb51

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Those are all double DINs or flip outs, the OP didn't want a flip out:

Actually, if you look at them all they are single DIN bodies with screens attached, either flip or mounted but the bodies are all single DIN bodies.
Okay, I see now.

I am not sure if any of those will be a good fit for the OP's use though.

I wonder if a single DIN like the Pioneer Smartphone Receiver would be better suited to your bike?
I think something like this would probably be okay, with minimal interference of other things.

I think the only real problem you might have is your phone obstructing the speedo.
I don't think it would obstruct very much of it.

If it does, the OP can get a speedometer app.

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Well, if you're looking for an excuse to get a new Harley the 2019 BOOM! Box GTS system supports CarPlay...
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/owners/audio-navigation/boom-box-gts.html

Otherwise maybe you can go the route most go with 3rd party installs in cages...a dash adapter. But for a Harley, the adapter could cost more than the HU. Check out the kit Fat Heads Cycles offers. It includes a huge inner fairing replacement adapter...
https://fatheadcycles.com/blogs/harley-davidson-news/apple-carplay-1998-2018-harley-davidson

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Well, if you're looking for an excuse to get a new Harley the 2019 BOOM! Box GTS system supports CarPlay...
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/owners/audio-navigation/boom-box-gts.html

Otherwise maybe you can go the route most go with 3rd party installs in cages...a dash adapter. But for a Harley, the adapter could cost more than the HU. Check out the kit Fat Heads Cycles offers. It includes a huge inner fairing replacement adapter...
https://fatheadcycles.com/blogs/harley-davidson-news/apple-carplay-1998-2018-harley-davidson

I’d love a new bike, but not in the budget and mines paid for!

I saw that inner fairing you’re talking about, very cool idea, too pricy for me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.