Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Tesla has forever undermined the public perception of what “autopilot” can do.

Even if their only job is to check the blinkenlights, I think people are going to want a competent adult on site and in charge of the system. I think that means two for redundancy. “A flight carrying 300 passengers was left to an unsupervised autopilot when the lone pilot was incapacitated” headline will severely degrade confidence in the airline industry even if it lands without incident.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Tesla has forever undermined the public perception of what “autopilot” can do.

Even if their only job is to check the blinkenlights, I think people are going to want a competent adult on site and in charge of the system. I think that means two for redundancy. “A flight carrying 300 passengers was left to an unsupervised autopilot when the lone pilot was incapacitated” headline will severely degrade confidence in the airline industry even if it lands without incident.
Yeah, It'll probably take a few generations growing up with AI/Autonomous controlled vehicles as the norm for it to be ubiquitously accepted and trust.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For example...

The trick might be to get people to fly on a single Pilot airplane. Without doubt they already have the ability to build airplanes that can conduct the entire flight on an automated basis. But human pilots still have, at least my impression is that they still have an edge, as long as they can directly manipulated the controls.

However, with the move to fly by wire, this is decidedly less true with Flight Control systems (computer) and pilots are no more than putting in a request into the airplane via their controls and the aircraft decides to honor or dishonor their request. Not the same as having direct control. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: KaliYoni

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
The trick might be to get people to fly on a single Pilot airplane. Without doubt they already have the ability to build airplanes that can conduct the entire flight on an automated basis. But human pilots still have, at least my impression is that they still have an edge, as long as they can directly manipulated the controls.

However, with the move to fly by wire, this is decidedly less true with Flight Control systems (computer) and pilots are no more than putting in a request into the airplane via their controls and the aircraft decides to honor or dishonor their request. Not the same as having direct control. 🤔

While this is true, commercial fly-by-wire systems tend to still have a manual override function

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.