Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
So I managed to get the apps and instructions linked below working to give me Siri control of my Hue lights.

https://www.reddit.com/r/huelights/comments/330aw6/control_hue_lights_with_siri_and_homekit_using/

Definitely a do-it-yourself kind of a thing, but pretty good for something without official hardware support yet. Commands are limited to turning on/off scenes, rooms and individual lights, and setting a brightness level ("dim <light or room> to 50%") of a particular light or room. She can also report the on/off status.

Siri can't (yet) do things like setting timers, at least not with this hack. But I do have control of my 20 hue bulbs across 7 different rooms.

I followed the instructions on Reddit and also used the Elgato Eve app to more easily customize rooms and scenes, and gave each light a Siri-recognizable unique name.

Very much looking forward to official Homekit support of all my stuff.

Holding off on buying door locks until Homekit-compliant models are confirmed. Not concerned about thermostat since my Nest is smart enough not to need my management of it at all.

But Siri control of my lights makes me giggle like a mad scientist!

Oh, and NO jailbreak required. Total cost $2.

chanc

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
I followed the instructions on Reddit and also used the Elgato Eve app to more easily customize rooms and scenes, and gave each light a Siri-recognizable unique name.

I know Elgato Eve isn't available yet but I'm wondering if you know how the Homekit part of Elgato Eve works ? The part that I'm confused about is where it states this on the website :

Eve connects directly to your iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth Smart technology, without requiring a hub, gateway or bridge

Does this mean you need to be within Bluetooth range in order to get any readings off Eve ? That would seem really pointless to me. I can't find any information on exactly how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.