Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Does the Siri API allow developers to use Siri within their apps?

Eg with Spotify could you say "play Madonna?

Or from the apple homescreen could you say play Madonna in Spotify?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Ok I'll take a look.

Can't really see the point of the Siri API if you can't do that.

Yet another Apple half-baked implementation. I'll add that to the new raise to wake feature and the ability to delete stock apps.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Ok I'll take a look.

Yet another Apple half-baked implementation. I'll add that to the new raise to wake feature and the ability to delete stock apps.
What do you think it can do? It's not half baked, just limited to specific kinds of apps.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Look here. And that's why you've got to do your research before you create a redundant unnecessary thread to rant.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Ok I'll take a look.

They need to proceed with caution. Siri is universal and "play Madonna" is too generic of a command. Would it play from my music library, Spotify, find the movie on streaming services, etc? If you were actively using the app would you need Siris assistance at the expense of making Siri more difficult to use by requiring specifics system wide. "Hey Siri play Madonna in (insert app)".

The Devils in the details.

The best thing about Siri in my opinion is when she responds with an action. Ex Play Secret Earth...music plays. The worst thing is when she responds with another question ex. Play Secret Earth, "Which app would you like me to.....at that point I could have done the task faster manually. It drives me nuts that I need to specify mobile, work, iPhone etc when making a call SOMETIMES....

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
They need to proceed with caution. Siri is universal and "play Madonna" is too generic of a command. Would it play from my music library, Spotify, find the movie on streaming services, etc? If you were actively using the app would you need Siris assistance at the expense of making Siri more difficult to use by requiring specifics system wide. "Hey Siri play Madonna in (insert app)".

The Devils in the details.

The best thing about Siri in my opinion is when she responds with an action. Ex Play Secret Earth...music plays. The worst thing is when she responds with another question ex. Play Secret Earth, "Which app would you like me to.....at that point I could have done the task faster manually. It drives me nuts that I need to specify mobile, work, iPhone etc when making a call SOMETIMES....
Surely things like messaging are going to require you to specify the app anyway. I don't really think that's a significant obstacle. I'm not saying it would have been easy to add media playback. I just think it's something they can work on in future without the kind of obstacle you mention being a barrier, because that's always an obstacle.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Surely things like messaging are going to require you to specify the app anyway. I don't really think that's a significant obstacle. I'm not saying it would have been easy to add media playback. I just think it's something they can work on in future without the kind of obstacle you mention being a barrier, because that's always an obstacle.

It's not really an obstacle, it's an easy way to promote Apple's own services. An incentive of using Apple Music becomes the ability to use Siri.

Yes, you could argue that Apple opened up to messaging platforms when they have iMessage that competes, but you can also argue that the situations in which iMessage is used compared to apps like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are a little different.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I agree its certainly possible. And this could be all to make people want to use Apple Music more than other music services.

However the more and more I see Apple bend to the will of people that feel they know better the more I see them miss the mark for obvious reasons.

Kind of like a drag and drop style file manager. Which is all fine and well until you actually think about it and run into the elephant in the room which is file system compatibility. But then all the arm chair software engineers come out of the woodwork suggesting to use EXT4 like Android or...ahem...FAT32 lol....

So sure Apple COULD do it. However there is probably a laundry list of reasons while its much easier to imagine it then to implement it. And honestly...and I'm not saying its not a reason but do you (for sake of argument) feel Siri integration is THAT big of a deal to be the deciding factor of the type of music app you are going to use? Sure its a nice feature but I've only seen people gripe about the lack of Siri integration and I've yet to see anyone say they were using Apple Music because of its integration....

Just food for thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.