Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Not sure this has been mentioned anywhere else but as you use Siri it autocompletes the text as it recognizes it. Seems to have sped it up quite a bit too.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I watched the keynote when I got home, and Craig mentioned the "Hey Siri" feature works when the device is plugged in, like when you're driving. Is that the only time it works, or does it work if the device is not plugged in?

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
Only works when the device is plugged in. Would use to much battery otherwise.
For me it works great, just sometimes I have to press the button to speak to Siri again for my request.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Makes sense, I can see it being a big drain. Maybe the iPhone 6 will have a dedicated always listening Siri chip, like the M7 in the 5s.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Makes sense, I can see it being a big drain. Maybe the iPhone 6 will have a dedicated always listening Siri chip, like the M7 in the 5s.

I agree...iPhone 6 will definitely have "always on" Siri with the specialized audio-chip. I predicted it before WWDC and now with "Hey Siri", it seems more certain.

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
OP, are you referring to the "Hey Siri" feature... or the fact that when you activate siri, you can see each word transcribed AS you say it? It sounds like your speaking of the latter, but all replies seem to discuss the former.

If the latter, this is a great feature which i'm sure will make its way to the speech-to-text button on the keyboard.

If the former, please ignore everything i've said :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.