Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aka20p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
hi,

Since Siri was first introduced, I used nicknames assigned to my contacts to call them quickly. I am not referring to "Call my Mum", I am referring to setting up a nickname, like "KushKush" on a user contact details and then I was able to call them by issuing the voice command "Call KushKuch".

a couple of days ago it stopped working. Nicknames are no longer being identified and I must use the full name or the family relation (call my mum, cousin, wife etc.).

This is really annoying and I was wondering if someone experienced the same issue.

Thanks,
Liad

aka20p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014

if I use a nickname that is an actual english word i.e. sweetie, honey etc. it works. Setting a non english word, i.e. kushkush, fails.

It's as if Siri is autocorrecting me first before trying to search for the contact nickname.

Very annoying.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
if I use a nickname that is an actual english word i.e. sweetie, honey etc. it works. Setting a non english word, i.e. kushkush, fails.

It's as if Siri is autocorrecting me first before trying to search for the contact nickname.

Very annoying.
Try using "Kush Kush" instead of "kushkush". I just added that nickname to a contact in my list and it worked.

aka20p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Try using "Kush Kush" instead of "kushkush". I just added that nickname to a contact in my list and it worked.

it is working but sadly, my nicknames are of whimsical origin and while KushKush is easy to change, Tanya's nickname is Tanyush - which used to work until a couple of days ago. Breaking this one will be more complicated - and there are others, even weirder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
it is working but sadly, my nicknames are of whimsical origin and while KushKush is easy to change, Tanya's nickname is Tanyush - which used to work until a couple of days ago. Breaking this one will be more complicated - and there are others, even weirder.
Sometimes Siri has trouble pronouncing names the way you spell them. When that happens, simply type the nickname the way you pronounce it, rather than the way you spell it, so Siri can get it. You may have to experiment until you find a spelling that works. For testing, you can change your own nickname to the one you're trying to set, then ask Siri, "What's my name?" and you will hear how Siri pronounces what you've entered. Once you've found the spelling that produces the proper response from Siri, you can copy and paste it to the contact you select.

aka20p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Sometimes Siri has trouble pronouncing names the way you spell them. When that happens, simply type the nickname the way you pronounce it, rather than the way you spell it, so Siri can get it. You may have to experiment until you find a spelling that works. For testing, you can change your own nickname to the one you're trying to set, then ask Siri, "What's my name?" and you will hear how Siri pronounces what you've entered. Once you've found the spelling that produces the proper response from Siri, you can copy and paste it to the contact you select.

I think your comments are valid but since it was all ok earlier in the week, something must have changed.
My friends nickname didn't change suddenly so it's all to do with the way that Siri is analysing the context of the nicknames.

I will wait a couple of more days and submit a bug with Apple if needed. Thanks for commenting on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.