Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aguaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I've been struggling to find any helpful use for Siri Shortcuts, but I finally... finally found one! I don't know why shortcuts works and HomeKit doesn't, but at this moment Shortucts allows us to use Siri voice commands to activate a Hue lighting scene that has been edited to include transition times (fade in and out or dim). I wrote up a quick note on how to do this here http://techheroesinc.blogspot.com/2018/11/finally-siri-supports-transition-times.html

This is actually a big deal for me since I have many Hue scenes that I want to fade in or out to be easier on the eyes and set a mood. :)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I've been struggling to find any helpful use for Siri Shortcuts, but I finally... finally found one! I don't know why shortcuts works and HomeKit doesn't, but at this moment Shortucts allows us to use Siri voice commands to activate a Hue lighting scene that has been edited to include transition times (fade in and out or dim). I wrote up a quick note on how to do this here http://techheroesinc.blogspot.com/2018/11/finally-siri-supports-transition-times.html

This is actually a big deal for me since I have many Hue scenes that I want to fade in or out to be easier on the eyes and set a mood. :)
but can it work with homekit? I never setup the hue scenes in the app.

Aguaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
but can it work with homekit? I never setup the hue scenes in the app.

No. The shortcut is merely for voice activation. Unfortunately HomeKit still does not recognize the transition time attribute.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could combine HomeKit and Siri shortcuts? Maybe have a Homekit scene be able to activate a shortcut? That would rock!

By the way, I’ve since found a lot more uses for Siri shortcuts. I didn’t realize shortcuts can SSH into other devices and run applescripts. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No. The shortcut is merely for voice activation. Unfortunately HomeKit still does not recognize the transition time attribute.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could combine HomeKit and Siri shortcuts? Maybe have a Homekit scene be able to activate a shortcut? That would rock!

By the way, I’ve since found a lot more uses for Siri shortcuts. I didn’t realize shortcuts can SSH into other devices and run applescripts. That opens up a lot of possibilities.
I just set different zones to different areas and just say turn main room to 40% or something and it changes them all. Im still not sure what Siri shortcuts can be good for with HomeKit things.

Aguaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I just set different zones to different areas and just say turn main room to 40% or something and it changes them all. Im still not sure what Siri shortcuts can be good for with HomeKit things.

Well, I keep learning. Today I discovered the Home app in Shortcuts! I then activated a HomeKit scene using a shortcut. Pretty cool I guess, but it would be way more useful the other way round... HomeKit automations and scenes activating Shortcuts.

A couple days ago I learned that Shortcuts can SSH into my mac and run applescripts and bash scripts. This basically gives me control of my Mac using Siri from any other Apple device in my home. That opened up a HUGE amount of possibilities and uses!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well, I keep learning. Today I discovered the Home app in Shortcuts! I then activated a HomeKit scene using a shortcut. Pretty cool I guess, but it would be way more useful the other way round... HomeKit automations and scenes activating Shortcuts.

A couple days ago I learned that Shortcuts can SSH into my mac and run applescripts and bash scripts. This basically gives me control of my Mac using Siri from any other Apple device in my home. That opened up a HUGE amount of possibilities and uses!
what can you use that for? im currently programming in custom colors for specific lights that aren't in the system. like 2700k 3000k ect... The normal colors Siri changes the bulbs to is off too. pink is like an off peach red color, orange is a more yellow orange, purple looks pink ect..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.