Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fantastiic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Tehran
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have an iPhone 6 and Siri cannot hear my voice for some months. I searched before but nothing helped! The microphone hardware works well because I have the ability to record my voice perfectly. I tried following ways.

1. Reset the whole device
2. Sound check by calling someone and recording voices

Note: latest stable iOS version is installed on my iPhone.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Siri uses a separate mic from the ones used for calls and voice recording. If that mic has gone bad, Siri and voice dictation won't work.

Same thing happened to my iPhone 6 over a year ago. I thought about getting it fixed, but decided I didn't care enough.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Siri uses a separate mic from the ones used for calls and voice recording. If that mic has gone bad, Siri and voice dictation won't work.

Same thing happened to my iPhone 6 over a year ago. I thought about getting it fixed, but decided I didn't care enough.
Are you sure? Every iPhone in my house from the SE to all three iPhone 7 Pluses seem to have a problem with Siri not hearing us. I thought it was due to some change in iOS. Siri used to work great on my SE. Siri on the iPhone 7 Plus was always like talking to a senile hard of hearing old aunt. I rarely use it anymore. I used to use it all the time.

My mics that I know about work ok as far as I know. Google Assistant works well in Allo.

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Yeah that's true. Siri uses a different mic. Bought a used iPhone 5s for 100€ and I only checked the Mics with recording a video with the front came and another one with the rear cam. Both recorded fine and there was no audio issues.
Also facetiming works fine. But when I want to talk to Siri, Siri does not hear me. Same thing occurs while using WhatsApp for video calling. The called person does not hear me unless I plug in a headset with integrated microphone. Try it. Plug in your headset and I'm sure Siri will get what you say
[doublepost=1500383779][/doublepost]Edit:

The front cam records audio with the same mic as Siri uses for voice input. Both won't work on my 5s without a headset plugged in

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I guess I'll need to do more tests on all our iPhones. I never really knew how many mics are on IPhones or which ones recorded what.

On all of our iPhones, Siri does work but we have to yell at the phone and talk very slowly now. We also have to wait a much longer beat between saying "Hey Siri" and speaking our inquiry or command. So I had thought it was a problem with iOS or something in the way they're implementing Siri on their side, not with the hardware itself.

And maybe that is all indeed the case for what we are observing with Siri on our phones. I guess what is going on in this thread is a problem with the mic. Am I correct in understanding Siri is not working at all for y'all?

I have to say that on two out of the three iPhone 7 Pluses we have, including my own, the people we call often complain our voices are garbled. My husband has to use his AirPods to be heard clearly. Lol, I just use my S8+ or my HTC10. I got tired of people complaining they couldn't hear me on my iPhone. The third iPhone belongs to a teenager who only uses texts and FaceTime. It works okay for FaceTime.

Well poop, I don't know what to think. Where is the mic for Siri located?

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I guess I'll need to do more tests on all our iPhones. I never really knew how many mics are on IPhones or which ones recorded what.

On all of our iPhones, Siri does work but we have to yell at the phone and talk very slowly now. We also have to wait a much longer beat between saying "Hey Siri" and speaking our inquiry or command. So I had thought it was a problem with iOS or something in the way they're implementing Siri on their side, not with the hardware itself.

And maybe that is all indeed the case for what we are observing with Siri on our phones. I guess what is going on in this thread is a problem with the mic. Am I correct in understanding Siri is not working at all for y'all?

I have to say that on two out of the three iPhone 7 Pluses we have, including my own, the people we call often complain our voices are garbled. My husband has to use his AirPods to be heard clearly. Lol, I just use my S8+ or my HTC10. I got tired of people complaining they couldn't hear me on my iPhone. The third iPhone belongs to a teenager who only uses texts and FaceTime. It works okay for FaceTime.

Well poop, I don't know what to think. Where is the mic for Siri located?

I have the same problem! IP7+. I called apple and made appointment this week. Hope they replace the phone

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have the same problem! IP7+. I called apple and made appointment this week. Hope they replace the phone
Hey let me know how it goes! It just never occurred to me two brand new iPhones would have a hardware defect like this. Wow.

Reactions: Newbie67

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
I also have a 7plus, the 5s is used by my mom. Dont have any issues with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.