Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
I have a new iPhone 7 Plus that I finally received last week. I noticed over the last few days that Siri cannot hear me and Dictation does not work unless I'm using Bluetooth. Seems to be a hardware issue, it did get splashed over the weekend and I only noticed it not working after that.

Of course I can barely get an Apple Store appointment and they're in too short supply to simply exchange.

macrumordude

Suspended
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
I have a new iPhone 7 Plus that I finally received last week. I noticed over the last few days that Siri cannot hear me and Dictation does not work unless I'm using Bluetooth. Seems to be a hardware issue, it did get splashed over the weekend and I only noticed it not working after that.

Of course I can barely get an Apple Store appointment and they're in too short supply to simply exchange.

First day, I was able to yell "hey Siri" from across the room and I would hear me. A couple days later, it couldn't hear me unless I came real close. Thought I was the only one. Software or hardware?

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
Brought it into the store. They ran Diagnostics and found the earpiece microphone (front microphone) was not properly functioning. They replaced it with a brand new device.

Unfortunate, but I now have a fully functioning phone again. I didn't notice it before possibly, but this new device does seem to have a noise (as described elsewhere) under heavy load, only noticeable very very close to my ear.

macrumordude

Suspended
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Brought it into the store. They ran Diagnostics and found the earpiece microphone (front microphone) was not properly functioning. They replaced it with a brand new device.

Unfortunate, but I now have a fully functioning phone again. I didn't notice it before possibly, but this new device does seem to have a noise (as described elsewhere) under heavy load, only noticeable very very close to my ear.

Glad you got it. Mine's fine, it's just that if you don't wake/use it every so often, it won't listen to you. Hehe..:D

Mrlexima

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I fixed the issue on my phone without getting a replacement.

It's a bit of a hassle but what you must do is restore the phone to factory settings then when rebooting you must select the option to set up phone as a new phone.

Only then will Siri continue to work as normal. You will unfortunately lose all your previous data from your backups but everything will work fine.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Anyone else having this issue? I was able to set up Hey Siri a few days ago and everything was working as it should but now Siri and Dictation can't hear me at all.

bigenius

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Sweden
I'm having this as well. Also, when using the front camera to record video, the first seconds have almost unhearable sound. After a few seconds it's okay. Very strange.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah my iPad Pro 9.7 is extremely responsive when I say "Hey Siri". Even from another room. But my 7+ next to me I have to say it multiple times often.

bigenius

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Sweden
My appointment at the genius bar went well. The diagnosis tool reported a faulty microphone and my phone was repaired, took about 40 minutes - they swapped the microphone as well as the display. I don't have Apple care but I had 44 days left of the 1 year warranty so it was repaired at no charge.
All ok now

Jonteskane

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
Hi,

Siri on my iPhone 7 Plus iOS 11.2.5 is not picking up my voice properly. If I turn the iPhone and speak loud into the mic next to the camera lenses I can get Siri to work.

I’ve gone through the basic self service steps e.g. reset the phone. Talked to Apple-support over the phone. No problems in the tests.

Yesterday I went to my local Apple store and got Genius Bar support. The guy tested all the microphones and they where all working. Then he wanted to compare with new iPhone 7 Plus in the store. The first one of the new phones did not working either, the second one the same problem and also the third one, some kind of reference Genius Bar phone had the same problem as my phone. When he tested iPhone 6 s plus it was working perfectly.

The Genius guy said that he never experienced this problem before and when this problem was on three new phone 7 plus in the store he was going to escalate the problem to Apple service team.

So my questions, does anyone have a iPhone 7 Plus where Siri is working properly. You should not have to shout for Siri to hear you. If it’s working what iOS are you on?

If you had this problem, what was the solution?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t have my 7 Plus anymore but Siri never worked well for me on it and my husband and I both had difficulties with callers hearing us. I traded it in for an 8 Plus because the battery was also acting wonky.

I have an 8 Plus now and my callers hear me okay but Siri is still struggling compared to my iPhone SE which is on the same version of iOS 11. So I guess it’s not an iOS problem.

Jonteskane

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for the feedback.

I haven’t experienced problems with callers can’t hear me. But the Siri problem is a really annoying.

I wonder, is there anyone out there with a 7 Plus that actually have Siri picking up your voice properly?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

High pitch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.