Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegeek97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
California
Hey guys, I have a family member having problems with their iPhone 6. The microphone works perfectly, but Siri does not pick up any audio.

When you activate Siri, it does not pick up any audio at all. When we make a phone call on speaker it picks up the audio just fine. It's on the latest 9.2.1 update and we reset it a few times and turn Siri on and off. Any ideas?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey guys, I have a family member having problems with their iPhone 6. The microphone works perfectly, but Siri does not pick up any audio.

When you activate Siri, it does not pick up any audio at all. When we make a phone call on speaker it picks up the audio just fine. It's on the latest 9.2.1 update and we reset it a few times and turn Siri on and off. Any ideas?

There are 3 microphones on the iPhone if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure which one Siri uses. Try with headphones and see if Siri works. If so, one of your mics is not working that Siri requires.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've had this happen a few times on my 6s Plus running 9.3 Beta 1. "Hey Siri" doesn't respond, and manually turning on Siri results in no audio being heard. The mic still works, because I can still make phone calls and voice memos.

Only solution so far I've found is to restart the phone. I was hoping it's a beta issue, but it sounds like it's happening on 9.2.1, so there's that.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
No, it's a different speaker. You can make calls and everything but Siri uses a combination of mics (for noise cancelling). If that mic fails, Siri won't work, but the rest does.

Sorry applegeek97, looks like hardware failure to me.

BlueFire2009

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Europe
I have the same problem on my old 5S. It's definitely a hardware failure. I had the mic at the bottom exchanged, still was present. So I suspects it's the microphone for noise cancelling that sits in the earpiece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.