Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before, but it is kind of a hard thing to search for.

Is anyone else having a problem with Siri, where she will not say her responses? Like, she does what I ask, and I can see the response on the screen, but she will not say it audibly. And then later in the day, several hours later, she will randomly start saying all of the responses she should have said all at once one-by-one.

Example:

8:00AM: Me - "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 3:00PM."
(I get confirmation on screen, but Siri doesn't say anything)
8:05AM: Me - "Hey Siri, make a note to get milk."
8:10AM: Me - "Hey Siri, what time is it?"
(I get the answer on screen, but Siri doesn't say anything)
2:00PM: Siri - "OKAY I HAVE SET YOUR ALARM FOR 3:00PM OKAY I CREATED THE NOTE IT IS 8:10AM"

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Better late than never? ;)

Siri has these moods now & then. It's what makes her (or him!) 'real' :p.

They're sometimes caused by poor mobile reception though, as obviously Siri needs a network connection to function.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
They're sometimes caused by poor mobile reception though, as obviously Siri needs a network connection to function.

I think if reception or network connectivity were the problem, Siri would not work at all. I can even ask Siri if my local sports team won last night and she can tell me (show me) no problem.

Why would Siri be able to do everything except speak?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Alright, I think I noticed something else.

It seems to be that Siri "catches up" a few minutes after being plugged in and charging.

:confused:

Jbenner18

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2019
Any one find a solution to this problem? My iPhone X just started doing similar things. I am a truck driver so I use voice commands all day. All of a sudden I can’t voice dial anyone. Siri hears me and what I said to her displays on the screen but no call is made. If I tell her to text someone it will type the text and I have to push send instead of her asking me if I want her to send it. Also after I plug my phone in she will start talking. Saying the last few commands or messages or phone. Alls I told her to make. But doesn’t do anything with them.

Reactions: Waleed Q.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Might want to try a restore...

I have never experienced issues with Siri unless there were cellular / network issues.

Kparker

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
Did anyone ever figure out a fix? My iPhone X has been doing the exact same thing. Sometimes I will get a string of Siri responses over 24 hours later. My navigation is also affected.

Jbenner18

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2019
I ended up using iTunes to make a backup of my phone, then did a factory reset. Applied my back up (nothing changed, it just automatically reinstalled everything how it was). And then my problem was gone. It’s a pain but it worked

Kparker

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
Thanks for the update. I’ll give that a try. Total pain, but worth it if it works.

Jbenner18

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2019
It totally is. And be warned... the backup will also save pictures so I’d suggest doing that manually if you have a lot. That seemed to be the most time consuming part for me.

SteveUSMC

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2019
Sorry if this has been asked before, but it is kind of a hard thing to search for.

Is anyone else having a problem with Siri, where she will not say her responses? Like, she does what I ask, and I can see the response on the screen, but she will not say it audibly. And then later in the day, several hours later, she will randomly start saying all of the responses she should have said all at once one-by-one.

Example:

8:00AM: Me - "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 3:00PM."
8:05AM: Me - "Hey Siri, make a note to get milk."
8:10AM: Me - "Hey Siri, what time is it?"
(I get the answer on screen, but Siri doesn't say anything)
2:00PM: Siri - "OKAY I HAVE SET YOUR ALARM FOR 3:00PM OKAY I CREATED THE NOTE IT IS 8:10AM"

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It totally is. And be warned... the backup will also save pictures so I’d suggest doing that manually if you have a lot. That seemed to be the most time consuming part for me.

You can set it to not back up images to the cloud.

I back up nightly to the cloud without my images and then once a week backup to iTunes.

th545_ch

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2019
So really, no one else is experiencing this?
Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I thought it was because of iOS 12.4, but it seems to have occured before. Is backup & restore the only solution? I'm really not keen on doing that..

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I thought it was because of iOS 12.4, but it seems to have occured before. Is backup & restore the only solution? I'm really not keen on doing that..

Mine just kind of fixed itself a while back. No idea :confused:.

Waleed Q.

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
I am having the same problem with my iPhone X... For about a year now, Siri has become increasingly slower at replying to my commands DESPITE ACTUALLY WRITING WORDS ON THE SCREEN. More often than not, nothing actually happens.

Is there a fix for this or not?

Any one find a solution to this problem? My iPhone X just started doing similar things. I am a truck driver so I use voice commands all day. All of a sudden I can’t voice dial anyone. Siri hears me and what I said to her displays on the screen but no call is made. If I tell her to text someone it will type the text and I have to push send instead of her asking me if I want her to send it. Also after I plug my phone in she will start talking. Saying the last few commands or messages or phone. Alls I told her to make. But doesn’t do anything with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.