Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehmjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
I know that lots of people have issues with Siri over the years but in the last year I've become more and more reliant on it, and have actually found it works really well.

That is until I updated to iOS 13. Now I'll ask her to do something as simple as "set a timer for 15 minutes" and she'll say hold on... just a sec... and 10, 15, maybe even 30 seconds will pass before the request is completed, or out and out fails.

I've *never* seen Siri be this slow or unresponsive.

My iPad is also update and has no troubles whatsoever. Worst of all, everything else on my iPhone seems to work just fine, so it's not like I'm running into all sorts of issues that warrant me resetting the phone, just siri (plus because Siri is cloud based it's also hard to troubleshoot exactly where the problem lies.)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: Dr_Charles_Forbin

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
I know that lots of people have issues with Siri over the years but in the last year I've become more and more reliant on it, and have actually found it works really well.

That is until I updated to iOS 13. Now I'll ask her to do something as simple as "set a timer for 15 minutes" and she'll say hold on... just a sec... and 10, 15, maybe even 30 seconds will pass before the request is completed, or out and out fails.

I've *never* seen Siri be this slow or unresponsive.

My iPad is also update and has no troubles whatsoever. Worst of all, everything else on my iPhone seems to work just fine, so it's not like I'm running into all sorts of issues that warrant me resetting the phone, just siri (plus because Siri is cloud based it's also hard to troubleshoot exactly where the problem lies.)

Anyone else experiencing this?
I have a very similar problem except mine is in my car. Off the car, it's fine. When in the car, I have EXTREME latency in siri responsiveness. For example - if you say "Hey Siri, text <Name>" ... it will think for a bit, then display the message on the screen - and then 10-15 seconds later - speak it. It's also having problems picking up when I'm finished speaking. I've turned off the search options, and done 2 resets/restores - still a problem. Apple says because it works when it's not connected to the car, it's either network connectivity or the adapter (I have an old Nissan 30 pin custom adapter (car is a 2010)). Before I go buy a new radio (it is entirely possible that they've changed the interface so much that the old one is incompatible now but it was working fine before the IOS 13 upgrade), anything else I should try?

rickogorman

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
After trying a reinstall, which didn't solve the problem I found that changing the siri voice worked for me. Switching to a more common voice option (in my case, British) and then back to my preferred voice (Irish) seemed to unclog the blockage. My iPad, which is newer, didn't have the problem with the same voice, which is why it took a while to occur to me. But my iPhone is older (7) so maybe it is linked to the hardware, or just bad luck with one device. I've also noticed that the Irish Siri doesn't interact correctly with a shortcut, whereas the British voice does.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
After trying a reinstall, which didn't solve the problem I found that changing the siri voice worked for me. Switching to a more common voice option (in my case, British) and then back to my preferred voice (Irish) seemed to unclog the blockage. My iPad, which is newer, didn't have the problem with the same voice, which is why it took a while to occur to me. But my iPhone is older (7) so maybe it is linked to the hardware, or just bad luck with one device. I've also noticed that the Irish Siri doesn't interact correctly with a shortcut, whereas the British voice does.
Hey, another Irish Siri voice user!

Reactions: rickogorman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.