Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayansb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Hi,
I own an iPhone 6 Plus and after updating iOS to 8.1.3 Siri has become incredibly hard of hearing. It will only work when I scream. I checked the microphone and it's working fine with phone calls and voice memo. Is any one else experiencing this?

P.S. I tried restarting/rebooting with no change.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi,
I own an iPhone 6 Plus and after updating iOS to 8.1.3 Siri has become incredibly hard of hearing. It will only work when I scream. I checked the microphone and it's working fine with phone calls and voice memo. Is any one else experiencing this?

P.S. I tried restarting/rebooting with no change.

One of your mics might be bad. The 6+ has 3 mics. I'm not sure which one Siri uses to be honest. Does Siri work fine with headphones plugged in?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
One of your mics might be bad. The 6+ has 3 mics. I'm not sure which one Siri uses to be honest. Does Siri work fine with headphones plugged in?

Siri uses all 3 and does some fancy algorithm to reduce noise and hear you better.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Try recording a video with the front facing camera to see if the mic on the front of the device is working.

Also, do you have your phone connected to any Bluetooth speakers? If it has a mic then it will use this for Siri

Last edited:

Rayansb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Have you tried turning Siri off and then back on?

Yes, did not work :(

----------

It works very well with the headphones.

----------

Try recording a video with the front facing camera to see if the mic on the front of the device is working.

Also, do you have your phone connected to any Bluetooth speakers? If it has a mic then it will use this for Siri

Bluetooth turned off. I tried what you did, voice recording is weak with the front camera. Do I have a bad mic? :(

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

----------

----------

Bluetooth turned off. I tried what you did, voice recording is weak with the front camera. Do I have a bad mic? :(

Sounds like it, make sure you've got a recent iCloud(or iTunes backup) and make a Genius Bar appointment to get the phone looked at.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well, mystery almost solved I guess. Will wait to hear back from OP.

----------

----------

----------

Sounds like a bad mic then :)

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Well, mystery almost solved I guess. Will wait to hear back from OP.

----------

Sounds like a bad mic then :)

I had the same issue and after performing a DFU restore and Siri still didn't work I took the phone into Apple and they ended up exchanging it. Must have been an issue with the mic not working.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
I am having the same problem with SIRI. I don't think it is a problem with my mic as it's working properly for me.

Must be some issue with the 8.1.3

P.S. - It still isn't working for me after updating to 8.2. Specially when 'Hey Siri' is enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.