Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I have 5 LiFx bulbs in a room (named; A, B, C, D, E)

When I ask my HomePod mini to 'turn on light A' the light goes on— BUT no reply from Siri.
When I ask my HomePod mini to 'turn on <any of the other bulbs>' the light goes on— with a Siri response, "OK, Light 'x' is on"

When I ask Siri via my iPhone 12 Pro to 'turn on light A' the light goes on— with a Siri response, "Ok, Light A is on"

So this seems to be focused around the HomePod mini.

All software (Apple and Lifx) uptodate, removed bulb A, re installed it to home, restarted all devices.
Im stumped, any ideas??

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
just to confirm.... the lights are all in the same homekit room? and the same room as the HomePod? (talking room configuration in homekit, not physical room in your house)

in theory, homepods don't respond if they are in the same room as the lights you're controlling. I think if you ask for multiple lights (or all lights) if any are outside the room, she will respond. Since phones don't have a room assignment, they should respond for all devices.

Not sure if you want her to respond or not.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Ah yes... thank you!— thats the reason Im not getting a reply from Siri (Bulb A and the HomePod are in the same "room").

I live in a one room studio apt that I had to creatively 'divide' into "rooms" to place items in the Home app. I think I may just create a "room" called HomePod, that would solve the issue.
—thanks again for the insight!

Edit: I created a room called "utility" for the HomePod and my temp/humidity sensor.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm in the same boat, L shaped studio, and an open-ish kitchen, so many lights in the same physical space but different "rooms"

one other thing this does

"turn off the lights" to a HomePod will only turn off lights in the same room, but if you say "turn off all the lights" she'll turn off everything in all the rooms.

on the phone, they both have the same outcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.