Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbydrivas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Good Morning All

I have a few scenes that are groupings of HUE lights at home that have worked beautifully for years.

A few weeks ago I noticed when I would ask Siri to run the scene that nothing would happen. She doesn’t say I couldn’t run the scene, or that she didn’t recognize the command. I can see the light on my homepods spin for a second and then they stop. Same thing on my phone, Siri comes up, but never runs the scene.

if I try to run the scenes directly from the home app, they work every time, but for some reason no go with Siri.

I have removed the scenes and recreated them with no luck. I also reset my HUE bridge with no luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I've seen the spinning Homepod thing a couple of times too. I got the sense that it had an incomplete copy of the Homekit config.

Instead of deleting things, I would start by renaming the scene(s) and save. Then rename it/them back and save. That's usually enough of a change to get HomePods to refresh their copy of Homekit data from iCloud. Wait 5 minutes then try the request again.

You can also ask Siri on HomePod about devices (and scenes?), to see how "aware" it is of your current Homekit config.

"Hey Siri, what Homekit devices are in the Kitchen?" for example.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
do you have a homekit hub? (aTV, HomePod, iPad) Try recycling power on all of them

Might be best to unplug them all, before going back to plug them in
I'm not sure what kind on magic apple works in the background to sync them, or decide which one has control.

also while you're at it, rebooting your router probably won't hurt

bobbydrivas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Thanks dotme and waw74 for the suggestions! Still no luck.

I called Apple and they are as baffled as I am.

They had me remove/reinstall the home app and reset Siri, with no luck.

After several hours of troubleshooting with them throughout the weekend, they have submitted my case to their engineers for review. I submitted several screenshots from my phone and watch for them to look at.

The only thing I haven’t tried is to restore my phone, but I may give that a go tonight.

I’ll let you know what Apple says.

bobbydrivas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Interestingly, I tried hey Siri to run a scene from my MacBook, and it worked! Not sure what makes the MacBook different when all of my other devices are struggling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.