Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomimorillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I evoke Siri and it pops up but its not listening. I've checked my mic and its OK. Am I the only one having this issue?

tomimorillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Woops! I figured it out... I have attached a Belkin ThunderDock that has a mic input. Although on the Mic preferences on Siri I have selected "Internal Mic" and not "USB PnP Sound Device", which is the ThunderDock, for some reason it does not recognize the internal Mic unless I detach the ThunderDock.

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
On other note, can Siri listen without pressing Siri icon? Kinda useless tbh if you must press the button first...

tomimorillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
On other note, can Siri listen without pressing Siri icon? Kinda useless tbh if you must press the button first...
You have to press the key combinations (fn+spacebar which is the default or a customized set) or the icon. It'll be cool if they implement "Hey Siri!" as an option.

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel
You have to press the key combinations (fn+spacebar which is the default or a customized set) or the icon. It'll be cool if they implement "Hey Siri!" as an option.
I bet when you charge your laptop it has that feature like the iPhone 5s & 5 , but not always on like the new iPhone 6s and 6s plus

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Whoa, I didn't even realize that Hey Siri wasn't included in Sierra, haha. Of all my devices my Mac is probably the one I'm liable to use Hey Siri on the most, so that's too bad.

Somewhat related - when your Macs are muted and you invoke Siri, does she still make that activation dinging noise? That always bugged me to no end and I always end up activating her by mistake in the library or some other place where I'm supposed to be quiet

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
Here is my tutorial: How to enable Hey Siri activation on a mac with Sierra

It has a few more details than the 9to5mac article.

I implemented the "Hey Siri" functionality some time ago. While that made it easier to talk to "her", "she" got so many things wrong, or was unable to fulfill my request so many times, that I finally just gave up. As I have said before, I find Siri really half-baked, and a product that should not have been let out the door quite yet. The app needed a lot more polish first, in my view. I haven't used Siri since. Besides, I don't feel comfortable talking to a machine anyway. I much prefer a quiet work environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.